Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have a diagram or picture labeling what all of the wires are on the wiring board to the right of the battery where the main fuse and all the other wires are..? I have a few unplugged and Im trying to figure out where they go.... 1981 gl500

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
Give us what color the wires are that you need figured out. Most of the wires can't be seen in a picture too well.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
There are many photos here.

If you have simply unplugged the wires at the electrical panel there is no need to worry about plugging them back together wrong. The connectors are all keyed to prevent this.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are many photos here.

If you have simply unplugged the wires at the electrical panel there is no need to worry about plugging them back together wrong. The connectors are all keyed to prevent this.

ok thanks... alright here is a picure of what im talking about.. (i just did that main fuse mod) ... What is this green wire hanging down...?

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
The green wire located next to the flasher is a ground wire. It is not used.

It looks like someone has added to this wire on your bike, possibly to provide a ground for some aftermarket accessory. You can ignore it - worst case something non-stock will not work.

The added stub resembles a horn harness wire.

Also see this page.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok thanks! worried something was disconnected .... Also does it appear that I connected the main fuse mod correctly? I noticed that the original fuse piece was not even there, it was like a wire with 2 adaptors before, really strange. Looks like someone has rigged this thing up before. Any way I can clean up these wires, maybe a new harness or something?

also, the battery I believe and hope is bad, and thats my problem why I cant start it. I purchased a new battery today and will pick it up tomorrow after its charged. I tested the battery on my other bike and it was 12.8 volts, and when I turned on just the ignition it remained at 12.8, fired up the bike and it jumped to 14.5. The gl500 battery however, is at like 12.2 before the ignition is turned on, drops in the 11's when i turn the key to on, and when I press the electric start, it drops to 9.2 or so...and doesn't wanna even try to start. Does this sound like just a bad battery and could be my problem why the bike doesn't start?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
sounds like a dead shorted cell in the battery your best bet would be to get that new battery

and now you put your other bike battery in and it started your silverwing you say and if so then you answered your own question as to if the battery is shot if it didnt start your other battey and droped it to 9 some thing volts then yes that battery is toast

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sounds like a dead shorted cell in the battery your best bet would be to get that new battery

and now you put your other bike battery in and it started your silverwing you say and if so then you answered your own question as to if the battery is shot if it didnt start your other battey and droped it to 9 some thing volts then yes that battery is toast

ok thanks yea im gonna try tomorrow..... no i started my other bike, not the silvering, just testing how the volts work. I wish the same battery fit! haha

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
...Also does it appear that I connected the main fuse mod correctly? I noticed that the original fuse piece was not even there, it was like a wire with 2 adaptors before, really strange. Looks like someone has rigged this thing up before. Any way I can clean up these wires, maybe a new harness or something?...
The main fuse connections are correct. After the troubleshooting is finished make sure the fuse is supported. If it is left hanging down the wires will flex under vibration and possibly break.

It's possible the previous owner installed a piece of fusible wire in place of the original fuse. This type of wire is designed to function as a fuse and it is used on many cars. But a regular piece of wire should not be used as a fuse.

If your wire harness is butchered a good replacement can almost always be obtained on ebay. The 81 and 82 GL500 and GL500I wire harnesses are interchangeable. For the Interstate models, an additional sub-harness is included for connections to the fairing. The sub-harness just plugs in to the main harness.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The green wire is always with the flasher wires on a GL. It is used on three wire flashers (like I have at the moment).

·
Registered
583 Posts
holy rear tire dryrot batman!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts