Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a pic of the vetter mount...I think I have it correct.

Also are the gauges raised up? I have 2 little "S" shaped brackets I think raise the speedo/tach.

I have to make a photobucket account before I can post pics. Doing that this weekend.

Thanks,

DW

PS: this is for a 78cx500 standard model.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Check out the picture in this post:

Previous Fairing Post

Is that what your "S" hardware looks like? Nothing is done to the cluster for a fairing install except the removal of the front cowl.

There was a post on the old board with pics of the mount off the bike. Here are some pics of it on the bike:

There are also 2 long straight pieces that bolt up to the bottom of the fairing.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,452 Posts
I know I've got pics somewhere, because I gave them to the guy who bought my Vindicator. They're probably on my disassembled computer at home.

Also are the gauges raised up? I have 2 little "S" shaped brackets I think raise the speedo/tach.
I did find this photo that shows the instrument mounting:

On your '78 the "Maggot mask" and turn signal bar need to come off. The mounting kit should include two small brackets that hold the instrument cluster. I happen to have a spare set of those. If anyone needs them, let me know.

R

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for those pictures! That will make it easy now. I am missing the instrument mounts. I will definetely take them if they are still available. PM me the price and we can work out the shipping.

Thanks again!

DW

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Thanks so much for those pictures! That will make it easy now. I am missing the instrument mounts. I will definetely take them if they are still available. PM me the price and we can work out the shipping.
They're yours for shipping. I got the PM with your address. I'll let you know shipping after they're sent.

If I recall correctly, the instrument brackets I have don't have the holes in the middle for the tach and speedo cables. You might need to use the outboard studs in the clocks instead of what's shown above.

Do the brackets you have look like these?

These are used to get around the big plastic radiator shroud on the '78. If your mount kit is for a later year CX, these aren't used. In that case, the holes might not line up, and you'd have to mod. (Or there might be enough adjustment range. I haven't dealt directly with the later kits.)

I'll try to find my photos of the installed mounts.

R

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
If it's a Windjammer, it'll have it's own blinkers. If it's a Vindicator, the mount came with hardware to mount the turn signals on the front.

My fairing was installed at the dealer, and the '78's I parted had fairings, didn't know about that cluster bracket. Thanks for the info Randall.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
I found my pics. (Sorry about the file size. I didn't reduce them.)

In the photo above, the top clamp was removed to replace Greg's steering stem bearings. You don't need to remove it to install the fairing mount.

I hope these help.

R

P.S. Mount everything loosely, then tighten it all down.

Also, the rear-most bolt on the left-hand side will be very close to the valve cover. Use a shorter bolt here, or a couple washers under the bolt head to avoid making contact.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
PM me the price and we can work out the shipping.
David, the package went into the mail yesterday. USPS.com says you'll see it Friday. Postage was negligible, so don't worry about it.

I don't recall how I got your address now. I can't find an email. Maybe I deleted the PM.

I need to sleep more.

R

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Looking at this photo, I realized that this mount would never work with the Custom radiator I have on my '78. The filler neck is at least an inch closer to the middle on the Custom.

The Custom guys aren't just whining when they complain that it's hard to remove the cap with the tank mounted. There's barely room under my frame to remove it.

R

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Agree, my 81 Deluxe has a Vetter mount and the radiator cap can not be removed with the mount in place
Loosen it all, slide the Vetter clamp up on the steering head tube, and retighten. That should give you a little space above the cap.

I don't recall having trouble because of the fairing mount, but with the fairing itself installed, I think I needed to shift the fuel tank to reach the cap (which I still need to do with the Custom rad and no fairing.)

R

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
On the deluxe the tank mount limits moving it up and the cap sits right under the mount arm. I have considered modifying the mount, but I don't know just how much metal can be removed without weakening it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Can u post pictures of your wiring harness to your bike andor your color chart? Hooking up an 82 Honda Cx 500

Been to vetter . Com but want original pix did u hook up a radio at all?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
on my 81 custom I have to loosen the radiator bolts and tilt it forward to get the radiator cap off, and I don't have a fairing, talk about a PIA!!!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Got a line on a Vetter Windjammer with a guy I know from another forum board. He doesn't have the same mount of course, so this thread and pictures are really helpful. There is complete fairing kit on fleabay right now that the seller is offering a complete package for a lot of $$$ (local pickup only).

Another question is: is info available about actual dimensions? That would help with construction of these for the future. I have been looking on the new site - maybe the old site may have something?

Or if someone has a the mount, PM me with details if you want to sell, or we can talk about taking actual measurements.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.