Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently rebuilding all of the forks that I have on hand here so that I'm not storing junk. I hate pulling out parts only to find that they're not fit to use.

Anyhow, amongst the forks I have a set from a 500 euro sitting at my feet. Laying a twinshock 500 fork alongside it I notice only about a 30 mm difference in length with the euro forks being the longer.

I have the triple tree and yoke for these also.

I have seen this question asked about fitting GL forks to a twinshock CX. They are apparently too long to use without being cut down and the tops rethreaded.

I have a 500 and a 650 euro frame in my back shed along with the swingarm and prolink but parts count is so low I'm unsure what to do with those - though I am toying with the idea of building a faux bobber with rear suspension.

These forks were fitted to a friends 650 euro. Aside from not being the correct forks {no factory fork brace} they still leaked after having the seals replaced as the bushes were worn out. These were replaced with the correct 650 forks and I inherited them for doing the work. I bought bushes for these several years back while rebuilding a similar set for somebody else. I have new seals ready to go in and am about to rebuild them.. This time they shouldn't leak.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
CX500EC Eurosport 1982
51 Posts
GL and euro forks are 37mm diameter, think standards are 33mm, so you’d need to swap clamps too, is that the plan? But then that’ll mess up all the headlight fixing points etc. Any gain from the larger forks is probably marginal . I wouldn’t bother.

·
Super Moderator
23,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the yoke and triple.

This bike will be built from scratch from parts. There currently is no bike as such.

Any changes required would be made in the course of the build. I tend to make my own bracketry and such anyway.

I have just rebuilt a set of twin disc 33 mm forks for this bike but am still keeping my options open at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
23,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a quick look at these forks last night.

One fork has the seal hanging out of it and won't compress at all.

Pondered on this for a while and then remembered something.

The seal blew when the then owner pumped the forks up with air from their compressor .... perhaps excessively. Then the leg started to leak so badly he put a dowel or some such down the fork to keep it from compressing and pumping oil when he rode the bike here for the new 650 forks to be rebuilt and fitted. While I've not pulled them apart yet I'm fairly sure this is right. My memory may be faulty after 10 years or so that I have had these forks.

I guess I'll find out for sure when I pull them down.

·
Registered
CX500 Z 1978 , Rickman Polaris fairing, currently GL500 front, Ignitech etc. subject to change
299 Posts
Because the original 33mm forks on my Z were worn and sticky - heavy fairing didn't help - I've fitted a GL500 (35mm) front end, complete including wheel, not brakes and handlebars. After experimenting a bit I now have about 40 mm stanchion above the top yoke, standard GL springs, no extra preload washers or filler, plus about 1bar (15psi) air pressure in them. May replace the air by extra preload later. This works for me for now and this bike/fairing combination, ride is a lot better but that is my personal taste and I don't go racing. If You ve got the E forks, I'd say just try them as early as possible, see what happens. Should be a better ride than the 33mm originals if you can get the setup to your taste.

Lessons learned for me : after setting up the GL front on the Z , I now understand better why CX's of the same type can sometimes feel so different when riding, smal variations in geometry can make more difference than I expected. For my personal bike I will avoid changing forks, too much hassle and tuning to get it right. YMMV of course.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts