Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok after reading the thread yesterday about the lady that got killed because they lost control of the bike due to a blowout I'm really beginning to wonder about this whole motorcycle fad I'm going thru......granted it was stated that they were not wearing helmets and who knows how they would have faired with helmets ON....I guess we'll never know will we ?

So that leads me to my question:

Has anyone ever had a flat/blow out while riding ? If so how fast were you going ? Were you able to control the bike and get it stopped with out losing TOTAL CONTROL ???

Just a wonderin !

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I've only had it happen once (knock on head) and it was at small town speed in a small town. I'd picked up a big fencing staple in my rear tire on my '76 sportster the day before the Ride-For-Sight (motorcycle fundraiser rally) but I wasn't losing any air so I foolishly decided to drive the bike 50km oh-socarefully to my friends' shop where there was a tire and the gear to install & balance it.

Everything was going fine until I passed through the town of Goodwood and its' set of train tracks. As soon as I hit the crossing my rear tire rolled right off the rim and suddenly the back end of the bike was riding on marbles. I managed to fishtail into the garage, hoping to ram a can of fix-a-flat into it just to get there. When I saw the damage I just dropped a quarter on a friend who showed up 10 minutes later with his girlfriend driving his truck and his absolutely pisstanked self to the rescue. An experienced motocross rider, even in his state he managed to run my bike up a 2x8 ramp into the back of his truck and have it tied down while I was still trying to apologise to his long-suffering girlfriend. A short run later, with a sidebar to the nearest beerstore to cover services rendered, I had a new tire on and I was rolling home.

Despite the rain and the fact that one of my riding buddies threw up in my knapsack the Ride-for-Sight the next day was a good ride.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I had that happen on my CB350. I was going around 40mph and hit a wide spike that put a 1" cut in the tread and popped the inner-tube of the rear tire. It kind of felt akin to driving a 3-wheeler on pavement. There was not a feeling of loss of control but as I recall I wouldn't have wanted to have to lean for a turn either.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ok after reading the thread yesterday about the lady that got killed because they lost control of the bike due to a blowout I'm really beginning to wonder about this whole motorcycle fad I'm going thru......granted it was stated that they were not wearing helmets and who knows how they would have faired with helmets ON....I guess we'll never know will we ?

Has anyone ever had a flat/blow out while riding ? If so how fast were you going ? Were you able to control the bike and get it stopped with out losing TOTAL CONTROL ???

Just a wonderin !

I had a blowout on the front tire. Although, it was more like a roll out. I was riding to a dr's appt. when I noticed the bike's front end was getting harder to turn. I looked down and noticed that I was riding on about an inch of air. I was less than a 1/2 a mile from the dr.'s, so I chanced it. I didn't even make it that 1/2 mile a few more yards and the tire rolled off. I rear braked the bike to the side of the road, somehow. It was quite scary. Since then I upgraded my AAA to gold so they would flatbed my bike if I needed.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Only on my old Garelli moped back in 1983, NEVER on any of the 5 bikes that I have owned in the past 15 years.

·
Registered
34 Posts
About 20 years ago I had a blow out on my front tire on a GS1000 Suzuki. I was traveling at abot 70 mph and just slowed down leaned back shifting my weight off the fron tire and pulled over, gave me the quite a scare but was ok. That same summer my wife had a flat back tire and she made out all right too. We were lucky each time that there was no one else on the road.

·
Registered
94 Posts

Just a wonderin !

·
Registered
94 Posts
IN 1970 i had a buddy on the back of a 350 Kaw avenger and had a blowout at 85mph...i took up 2 lanes bring it to a stop... the trick is in a situation like that, be VERY careful with any braking. There wasnt a piece of inner tube bigger than a dollar bill when i took the tire off.... Mike

·
Registered
583 Posts
IN 1970 i had a buddy on the back of a 350 Kaw avenger and had a blowout at 85mph...i took up 2 lanes bring it to a stop... the trick is in a situation like that, be VERY careful with any braking. There wasnt a piece of inner tube bigger than a dollar bill when i took the tire off.... Mike
Never a blowout, but I've had the rear tire lockup at speed on two bikes. (about 40)

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
A couple of weeks ago this is what went into my M8's Bonneville whilst we were out on a ride,

Luckily it was the rear tyre and we were only doing around 25/30 Mph and of course,"He" gets his blow-out right outside a pub so I lent him some money so he can get pissed(UK Slang/Drunk) whilst we waited for the breakdown recovery

·
Registered
426 Posts
A couple of weeks ago this is what went into my M8's Bonneville whilst we were out on a ride,

Luckily it was the rear tyre and we were only doing around 25/30 Mph and of course,"He" gets his blow-out right outside a pub so I lent him some money so he can get pissed(UK Slang/Drunk) whilst we waited for the breakdown recovery

I'm sure he was already pissed(American slang/mad) about the flat.

·
Super Moderator
15,413 Posts
Damn Shep.

I have picked up a nail that caused a not slow but not fast leak in the tire and handling was getting iffy.

I think that one rule with tires is to replace them when they get old or worn down. If you have a new tire then the chances are probably like wining the lottery.

My dad had a work truck. One of those back woods turds that saw pavement occasionally. He always put cheap used tires on it and we always had flats, or wires showing. I always replace my tires when they get to about 25% life and have only had one flat on my vehicles in 13 years. Tire was so worn that a piece of gravel ripped a triangle shaped hole in it. That was the last used tire I ever bought. I even had a set of Firestone Flip-overs.

edit......Shep the word probably rhymed with Truck or something similar in your area of the world.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Had several flats over the years, but the one I will always remember in vivid detail was on the I40 in NC many years ago. The rear blew out at about 80 mph and my Moto Guzzi 850T started tank slapping and fishtailing all over the road. The bike stayed up though and I managed to ride the bull to a stop. I don't like spoked wheels for that very reason. A tubeless tire is less likely to suffer a catastrophic failure than a tube. I was lucky it wasn't the front that blew. This is why it is so important to check tire pressure and condition carefully and often, and steer clear of spoked wheels and tubes if you are worried about blow outs.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
We were passing a small farm entrance that was across the road from the Pub I mentioned so we and the locals in the,"Boozer" reckoned it was off an old farm implement/field machinery.

With us going slow at that point through the village and the dry conditions his Bonny handled as if nothing had happened except the deflated rear tyre.He had complete control as he came to a stop so that was a plus.I had spotted a tell-tale puff of smoke/dust as it blew out so had started braking before he did and as always was far enough back as to not cause a problem pulling in.

As I pointed out to him.A ride without event doesn't carry much interest and no stories to tell

·
Registered
31 Posts
had a rear flat on the guzzi. never lost control but got all loose. had to trailer home to put in a new tube. tried fix a flat but the tube had about a 8" rip in it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I recently had an issue where the rear tire was extremely low on pressure (not flat though). I never checked the air pressure when I got it out this spring, and I had like 10 PSI in the rear tire. The back end wobbled back and forth on me at speed. I aired it up and it's been fine since. So, if you get a slow or moderate leak, you should have time to stop.

Lesson: Check tire air pressures when getting the bike out for the season.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
 I don't like spoked wheels for that very reason. A tubeless tire is less likely to suffer a catastrophic failure than a tube. 

I don't have any experience but that was my understanding.  Is it even possible for a tubeless tire to "blow"?  (other than a wicked steel shard like Shep's buddy)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts