264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,160 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,718 Posts
One of the front ends I was playing with using on the thingy was a twin leading shoe front end. It was fitted to a CB450 I had here a while back but unsure what it came off of aside from the parts being Honda. the front wheel had an 18 ' rim which makes me think CB350 but they were attached to forks with caliper mounts.

Twin leaders can give early disc setups a run for there money if set up right.

I don't think the rear drum fitted to the bike in the pic would give much stopping power... but maybe some retardation.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Except the fading an heat.

Yeh retardation and bad smells.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Retardation.....

Is that referring to the speed or the driver?????

just wondering and looking for clarification.

Oh and just another question on the black #13 with the bassakward CX tank. Is the purpose of that mount to make it more difficult to lean over the handlebars?

Here again, just wondering and looking for clarification.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
The only explanation is there is no clarification.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
maybe for those who go flat out through the bends ? if one jumps off in an emergency, one also does stop eventualy .

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Had an R60 around 1969, with a single drum up front, but wouldn't do more than 80 downhill with a tailwind. My early '70s Suzuki 750 (you know the one I mean, the "Water Buffalo") had twin front drums, cable of course. They worked okay, but what did I know back then? We rode three buffalos 8,000 miles cross US and back in 21 days. The hard flat seat was a bigger issue . . . when I was younger and less padded. 1976 LOL! $400 total expenses each, fuel, oil (2-strokes), food, lodging (such as the free camping spots were), everything. Not one phone call made the entire trip, but I digress. The drum front brakes worked okay for their time IMO. But I wouldn't deliberately install a set now.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,423 Posts
I read this recently. It applies to this situation perfectly.

A motorcycle is a dynamic machine, made for motion. When customization impedes a reder's ability to ride, the bike becomes something else, something less like a motorcycle and more like a paperweight.
(Cycle Canada Magazine, July 2015)

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,423 Posts
Of course, it doesn't matter what kind of brakes a paperweight has so if you aren't going to actually ride it go ahead and do whatever you want. In fact, don't bother wasting money on pads for the brakes (they don't show) or on anything inside the engine or carbs. Tires that grip & handle well? Why bother when you can have ones that look cool? Put your energy into making it look right and then put it in your living room as an ornament...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.