Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ebay master cylinder

Good quality? OEM brake hose line up? Work on an'82 CX500C?

I currently can't pump any fluid up from the caliper so I know the check valve in the master cylinder is clogged and the location is not readily apparent like on other Hondas I've dealt with. Overall my original master cylinder is in rough shape so a new one would not be a bad idea.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I did. Very nice. I initially got the wrogn product but that seller fixed it issue pretty quickly.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I *just* bought one about 2 weeks ago, and yeah, it's pretty darn good. The quality is way better than i was expecting for the price, and my only gripe was it wasn't available in black to match my '78. I have no complaints at all.

·
Registered
324 Posts
ebay master cylinder

I currently can't pump any fluid up from the caliper so I know the check valve in the master cylinder is clogged and the location is not readily apparent like on other Hondas I've dealt with. Overall my original master cylinder is in rough shape so a new one would not be a bad idea.

I have one on my cx and one on my 650. Mine are from the same seller, but it looks like a different design somewhat. Mine have a more rectangular reservoir. They work great, however. I recommend combining with a fresh seal job on the calipers and braided lines. 3+ years on my cx and still stopping like new.

David

·
Registered
102 Posts
Looks very good. Pity the shipping to Europe is 35dollars

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
ebay master cylinder

Looks good to me. Looks just like my Boulevard MC

·
Registered
372 Posts
I had no idea that so many on here had these particular aftermarket MCs! I even met a man here in my city that had one on his CX500 bike. As far as I know he and I have the only two running models here.

I would also like to caution that the seller of these sometimes lists these only for a specific bike, but does not mention that it will fit others unless you ask him. He also uses pictures of different angles in these listings, possibly to create the illusion that he only has one for your specific bike at the time. I noticed this and questioned him about it. He was very honest about the fact that they were pretty universal. I ended up buying one for my bike that was listed for a Kawasaki or something. These even fit the OEM Honda mirrors because I bought two NOS ones for mine. These are very good and sturdy METAL items. I would also add that I have seen aftermarket PLASTIC ones made in recent years, but I would not want one due to the plastic.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Put me in the column that has one these too. Been VERY pleased with mine.

·
Registered
313 Posts
ugh, was this model shown for the SINGLE brake cx styles, or DUAL brake gl style?

How can you distinguish, or does the fluid volume for the dual and single not really matter for these?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Just throwing this out there... but my GL is a single.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I bought a master cylinder from Ebay's USA Motorcycles, but I never could get it it to pump up. I contacted the seller with my complaint and he immediately refunded my money (including shipping). Many here have had good luck with his product, and because of that and his great service I would recommend you try it. If you are not happy with the results USA Motorcycles should make it right.

·
Registered
372 Posts
ugh, was this model shown for the SINGLE brake cx styles, or DUAL brake gl style?

How can you distinguish, or does the fluid volume for the dual and single not really matter for these?

I SEEM to remember my old mechanic saying that these would work with either dual or single. But I would consult the seller.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys.

As far as the single and dual disk, I believe many of the master cylinders are the same stroke with 14mm bores so it doesn't look like it matters.

Also I see he uses the exact same photo for three different auctions including one for an F2, F3 master cylinder. I emailed about that.

I guess I'll just rebuild, replace the whole system and be done with it. Although by the time I get this project finished it will be time to put it away.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I got the chrome one from USA Motorcycles......took 3 tries to get it right. The first one wouldn't pump fluid at all so he IMMEDIATELY sent me another one w/out making me send the bad one back to him....the second one "oozed" fluid onto the lever so he IMMEDIATELY sent me another one w/out making me send the second bad one back to him....the third one worked like a charm, looks great and I've had no issues with and I'm pleased.

I guess the point I'm making is that this guy offers the VERY BEST customer service you could ever ask for. He told me he bought several hundred of these about 3 years ago and has them in a storage facility and has no idea why the first 2 had problems but at least he DID back the products up hassle free.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Good looking MC, price seems fair and lots of positive feedback and comments.

Unfortunately $30.00 to ship to me.

Rick

·
Registered
382 Posts
I had no idea that so many on here had these particular aftermarket MCs! I even met a man here in my city that had one on his CX500 bike. As far as I know he and I have the only two running models here.

I would also like to caution that the seller of these sometimes lists these only for a specific bike, but does not mention that it will fit others unless you ask him. He also uses pictures of different angles in these listings, possibly to create the illusion that he only has one for your specific bike at the time. I noticed this and questioned him about it. He was very honest about the fact that they were pretty universal. I ended up buying one for my bike that was listed for a Kawasaki or something. These even fit the OEM Honda mirrors because I bought two NOS ones for mine. These are very good and sturdy METAL items. I would also add that I have seen aftermarket PLASTIC ones made in recent years, but I would not want one due to the plastic.

I got the chrome one from USA Motorcycles......took 3 tries to get it right. The first one wouldn't pump fluid at all so he IMMEDIATELY sent me another one w/out making me send the bad one back to him....the second one "oozed" fluid onto the lever so he IMMEDIATELY sent me another one w/out making me send the second bad one back to him....the third one worked like a charm, looks great and I've had no issues with and I'm pleased.

I guess the point I'm making is that this guy offers the VERY BEST customer service you could ever ask for. He told me he bought several hundred of these about 3 years ago and has them in a storage facility and has no idea why the first 2 had problems but at least he DID back the products up hassle free.

I bought a chrome Master Cylinder from this same guy that wasn't even listed to fit my single disk GL500. It was advertised as a Kawasaki MC but all the numbers seemed to match those of the MCs sold for the GL. The difference was the price: the "Kawasaki" MC was $20 cheaper than the "GL" MC.

Mine bolted up the first time and sealed perfectly. No issues. The mirrors mounted as they should. And I got a chrome MC for $79.

You can buy from this guy with confidence. You might consider also upgrading to stainless steel lines if you haven't already. This is the perfect time to do so. JDA Enterprises can take care of that for you. Just tell them what kind of bike you have and they will send you the proper line.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I might try those steel lines sometime. Right now I have been PAMPERING my bike with my pell grant check! And you found exactly what I did. The same master cylinder lists for a different bike for a different price. That is why I also bought the one listed for a Kawasaki. But as I stated he was VERY forthcoming and honest when I asked him about it.

·
Administrator
2021 Benelli Leoncino - 2017 CSC RX3 - 2017 SSR Buccaneer 250i - 1979 CX650 Street Scrambler
1,671 Posts
I might try those steel lines sometime. Right now I have been PAMPERING my bike with my pell grant check! And you found exactly what I did. The same master cylinder lists for a different bike for a different price. That is why I also bought the one listed for a Kawasaki. But as I stated he was VERY forthcoming and honest when I asked him about it.

Dad bought a couple of these years ago, and installed one on the CX500 he was fixing up, which I sold last year. Worked great, no issues at all, and it brakes like a new bike.

Charles.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts