Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I am slightly changing this a bit. Basically I'm worried about the riding position when using clubmans or clip ons. I've never ridden a sport bike or anything with low bars, so I don't know what to expect with the lower positioning.

So what I'm looking for is if you've got clubmans or clip ons, can you post a pic of how they're positioned on the bike and describe how they effect your riding position. Bonus points if you have a pic of someone in riding position with them.

Any help?

Thanks

(old post below)

Hey guys,

So I'm wanting to get some new handlebars soon - the stock bars just aren't cutting it.

Anyway, I'd like to eventually go cafe/fighter with the GL, so I was thinking clubmans. I was going to go with the $25 bikemaster clubmans that seem so common, but then I found these:

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/miscpages/handlebars.html

CLUB2B is what I'm looking at. It says they're wider in the center for bigger bikes to alleviate fitment issues. Only problem I see is they list the rise at -3.5", whereas the Bikemasters are -0.8". I don't want to be too terribly low. (pressure on wrists, strain on neck are my fears)

I know a lot of people say they have theirs mounted upside down because of clearance, but I can't picture how they'd be positioned upside down, and what difference it would make.

What do you guys think? Think the -3.5" rise would be ok for a 6'2" guy? Is the rise on the bikemasters really only -0.8"? Looks like more in the pictures...

Thanks

Jason

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
I think somebody screwed up and punched in the wrong number at bike master and everyone else leached off of it.

If I had a set of clubmans I would measure them but I bet they have just as much drop. .8 of an inch wouldn't even be worth the bend.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Hey guys,

So I'm wanting to get some new handlebars soon - the stock bars just aren't cutting it.

Anyway, I'd like to eventually go cafe/fighter with the GL, so I was thinking clubmans. I was going to go with the $25 bikemaster clubmans that seem so common, but then I found these:

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/miscpages/handlebars.html

CLUB2B is what I'm looking at. It says they're wider in the center for bigger bikes to alleviate fitment issues. Only problem I see is they list the rise at -3.5", whereas the Bikemasters are -0.8". I don't want to be too terribly low. (pressure on wrists, strain on neck are my fears)

I know a lot of people say they have theirs mounted upside down because of clearance, but I can't picture how they'd be positioned upside down, and what difference it would make.

What do you guys think? Think the -3.5" rise would be ok for a 6'2" guy? Is the rise on the bikemasters really only -0.8"? Looks like more in the pictures...

Thanks

Jason

I have a set of clip ons that I may be selling. They wont fit the GSXR forks.

31mm I think they are.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a set of clip ons that I may be selling. They wont fit the GSXR forks.

31mm I think they are.

GL forks are 35mm, so they wouldn't fit... Thanks though.

I did find a couple places listing the Bikemasters with different drops. One site lists 4.5" (jpcycles), oldbikebarn lists them as 5.5" but they have them pictured upside down for some reason.

Anybody have them and can measure the drop?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Speaking of clip ons, why the heck are they so much more expensive than normal bars, yet so much less metal?

·
Registered
254 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
are clip ons generally higher or lower than clubmans?

They can be as low as you want them to be but only as high as the top triple clamp (or just above them if you drop the forks through the triple to lower the front end) because they clamp directly onto the fork tubes.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They can be as low as you want them to be but only as high as the top triple clamp (or just above them if you drop the forks through the triple to lower the front end) because they clamp directly onto the fork tubes.

If they're as high as the top clamp, I'd assume that would be higher than the clubmans, right?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I just edited the beginning of this thread. Since I'm worried about positioning and comfort, I figured I'd seek some feedback from those that have either clubmans or clip ons.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.