Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I can seem to find is people turning the 650 CUSTOM into a bobber or chopping it, but nobody doing a cafe out of this bike. I found one locally for sale, but I'm wanting to cafe it out.. Do you think i should go for it?

My concern is the frame and the fork rake.. I don't know if these things can be fixed or if they would look good as a cafe or not...

Help!!

Ryan

·
Registered
106 Posts
Do you think i should go for it?

My concern is the frame and the fork rake.. I don't know if these things can be fixed or if they would look good as a cafe or not...

The short answer is yes, of course you can, theres a wealth of info here on other cafe projects, do some reading and get your cutting tools out--make your dream bike.......

The real question is do YOU think you should go for it, do YOU think it would look good? Too often on this site and just in general I see people too eager to get everyones approval before making a decision---Its gonna be YOUR bike so it should be made to YOUR styling and YOUR specification....

Of course I totally understand needing a little push in direction or another but the reality is that most people have already made a decision when they seek the advice of others......

What are you specifically worried about in regards to the frame? Also IM not sure that you would HAVE to rake out the bike but it can surely be done...

"if you will it dude, it is no dream--Theodor Herzl"

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand the whole idea of being original and just going for it, however, I haven't even seen anybody turn the CX650 custom's replacement, the Honda Shadow 750, into a cafe racer.

I'm hoping that someone will have some good information on this and be able to point me in a solid direction style-wise..

The Dude Abides.

Ryan

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I'm still getting a CX. I've had my eye on the CX500's for a while. I just saw this CX650 and thought that maybe it would be a good option too. I just don't know that yet. I know that the frame and the fork rake are not exactly "cafe" style on the CX650 custom's and I am just asking around to see if anybody has any advice on how to make those things work for me. It's hard to find one of these bikes around my area that isn't rusty from the 4 seasons we have here in SLC, UT. Just seeing what kind of options I have out there in the CX engines.

Still lookin for some good feedback on this.

Thanks all,

Ryan

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I've bought 3 bikes plus parts turning my cx500 into a cafe, and I'm not done yet! My point is the cx650s don't pop up nearly as much. I think I'd pass on the cafe idea. Not enough knowledge base for that project in my opinion. Now an early Goldwing on the other hand,,,,,

Http://www.google.com/url?source=im...8wc4Eg&usg=AFQjCNFYJkfNulP0hAqy4AvbzfDbuseJmA

(edit: using my wife's IPAD: I can't do half the things half as easily as I could on a laptop/desktop, hence you get a link instead of a pic)

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
Actually I was just thinking about it and it seems as the rider is a bit close to the handlebars in the current seating position then getting a longer tank and removing a few inches from the drivers seat wouldn't be a problem. Then you could make a nearly flat seat for it. But this is all theory. If the price was right it might be worth a shot.

Just don't hurt the stock tank and make sure to keep a key with the cap because they are a pain to find.

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
the engine would be nice to put in a cx500 frame though. thats a plan i got for the future, even though i'm rebuilding my engine now.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Well, I'm still getting a CX. I've had my eye on the CX500's for a while. I just saw this CX650 and thought that maybe it would be a good option too. I just don't know that yet. I know that the frame and the fork rake are not exactly "cafe" style on the CX650 custom's and I am just asking around to see if anybody has any advice on how to make those things work for me. It's hard to find one of these bikes around my area that isn't rusty from the 4 seasons we have here in SLC, UT. Just seeing what kind of options I have out there in the CX engines.

Still lookin for some good feedback on this.

Thanks all,

Ryan

Ryan, the rake and frame are within the norms of most motorcycle of the era. If you go back to when Cafe bikes were invented (so to say) in the 1950's any Triumph BSA, Velocette, Norton would probably have even greater rake than our CX bikes I have used longer rear shocks and shorter forks to come up with a very sporty 25 degree rake the same as the Suzuki SV650 which has a very good handling characteristic. Typical modern sport bikes have 24 degrees rake so don't be fooled by the look of the stock CX. There are a ton (pun intended) of Cafe bike based on the CX, check out the build by the TV guy "Chops by Doc"? The transverse engine invokes the 1/2 litre Moto Guzzi.

Cheers, 50gary

Click to make it bigger ha. There's a lot you can do with any bike, but the CX has a unique look to it right off the bat. This is my CX 500 1978 no paint job yet. Look closely.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,480 Posts
The 650Cwould be my choice for a CX cafe project (Assuming I ever finish the GL dual-sport), as it's the lightest chassis of the whole series.

I like the cafed Goldwing, too.

R

·
Registered
106 Posts
the engine would be nice to put in a cx500 frame though. thats a plan i got for the future, even though i'm rebuilding my engine now.

I agree on the "looks" factor but.....

Wouldnt a 650 frame be made specifically to handle the extra force, otherwise wouldnt honda have just saved money and continued using the cx frame???

Maybe an engineer could chime in though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
851 Posts
I would change the front end leading axle forks on a Cafe bike is a contradiction IMO. Great idea though, I like Vee-fours the best. Mr. Honda also said he thought the V-4 was the best layout for a motorcycle engine. The sound alone is worth it. The 1998/99 fifth generation VFR800 is one of my all time favorite bikes, gear driven cams. For those two years Honda moved the gear drive to the outside right of the engine so you can hear the gear whine better.

Cheers, 50gary

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So... I bought it. So it begins.

The first two are as it is now.

The last two are my inspiration and reason for wanting a CX!

I know the inspiration is a 500, but I'm just using it as a target for style and overall sexyness.. Damn that's a pretty bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
i'm real excited to see where this goes. i've wondered this myself but never seen anyone try it. you will be blazing a completely new trail.

[edit] i was thinking this when i posted... but seeing other people's comments i feel the need to actually say it. i'm excited to see where this goes BUT i hope you don't do anything that is irreversible. it's your bike so you have the right to do what you want to do with it. but it is in nice condition and they were only made for a year. something to keep in mind as you start modding it.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.