Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Anybody still riding up here?

5K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  RhodeKill 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anybody else is still riding up here!

#3 ·
I have not put either of my bikes away yet. I think it was sometime in early December last year when I stopped riding.

#6 ·
I rode a few days ago but don't go almost anywhere because i'm afraid of the rock crusher noise it's making I've been out in February once... it was down to 12 degrees that night when i was on the bike it was cold but i lived. These engines like the cold.... it think there were more ponies tugging me when i was twistin' that throttle

#9 ·
Are deer a problem this time of year for you North Eastern riders? They are as bad as I've ever seen them here in Northern Mn this fall. Yesterday was mid 50's and I so wanted to go for a ride but didn't for fear of hitting one. I see them almost everywhere I look.

#10 ·
30F this morning, going up as the week progresses (Yeah!) been riding every day including in some sleet/snow/slushy kind of crap. Should be about 60F by Wednesday.

Still about 2 weeks before I will have room in the shed to put the bike to bed.

#11 ·
Just rode the CX for the last time this year on Sunday. Weather dot com said actual temp 46, feels like 39. My buddy and added a criteria, on a bike, feels like 29!

I'm looking forward to the next few days of 50ish weather. I can give my Ape a good ride and then throw some fresh gas in her and some Stabilizer.

Just need to a get a decent space heater for my cafe project this winter. If things go too well, maybe I'll pull a Dana and take her out in February.

#13 ·
I rode mine home from the seller's place on his plate Saturday when I bought it, but I'm not putting it on the road until spring. I haven't quite gotten around to taking the insurance off the Savage for the winter, though - my girlfriend or I might still want to take it out for a quick spin if it gets warm enough one of the next couple of weekends!

#14 ·
Every day! Full fairing and heated gear help a lot. But then I am way south of you. It never really gets that cold down here, low teens is about as cold as it gets. Mid 20's are normal low temps in the winter. I can ride toasty down to about 10 degrees F or so. I just hope I don't have to use the snow blower as much as last winter!

#15 ·
Just so everybody knows I'm not as hardcore as I sound But I really do love to ride! I don't think I'll be out that temperture again soon I was convulsing I was shivering so hard after moving the bike 10 miles from the garage to the winter location. The ride was nice.... full moon.... not a single cloud in the sky.... Endless stars.... IT Was Epically Beautiful!

#16 ·
Now that the week's forecast has changed to sun and 50s by the end of the week and into the weekend, I'm second guessing myself. On the one hand, it doesn't make sense to register, insure, etc. for a week before putting it away. On the other hand, bike! Ride! And I'll be much warmer on the Silverwing than the naked Savage...

#18 ·
I've been riding to work, second shift, the ride in is great, coming home, not so great. The fairing on the GL really blocks the wind. My shins feel the wind the most. Last weekend I took a fairly long ride up over the ridge, there were a couple inches of snow on the ground, none on the road. I wore my new Tourmaster riding suit and was pretty comfortable for a couple hours, then the cold leaked in. When I got home I was cold.

I'll try to get out regularly during the winter. Not for long rides, and not if there's ice on the road, but on a nice day a short ride will do the bike and me a world of good.

#23 ·
I don't know about the rest of the state, today was around 34 degrees with a wind chill of about 24 degrees, I've NEVER seen as many bikes out in these kind of temps as I did today. In my limited treks I saw at least 4 Harley, 3 Italian superbikes, at least a dozen scooters and 3 or 4 ricers. No snow = go after this winter. I suspect the torrential rains over the weekend cleaning away most of the salt/sand was all the excuse riders needed.

#24 ·
Like I have said before, I am way south of you guys, but I have been riding to and from work all winter except when there is snow or ice on the roads (and even then some times by mistake) Usually in the 20's in the morning. I rarely see another bike, except on the warmer sunnier weekends when there are a few out.

I admit I get a kick out of seeing the grimace of pain on the faces of the guys riding in jeans, a jacket and a do rag when the temp is below 40 or so. Very cool!

#25 ·
I know this post has been dormant for a while, but it's mid February and I've gone out for a ride nearly every day this week. Granted, its on my new bike since my GL was stupidly put away in late October...and is waiting for a fork seal. But still, riding around in mid February on a naked cruiser is not bad at all for New England

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.