Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My grandson's 81 cx500 broke a rod at about 7000 rpm. He actually rode the bike for another 40 miles afterward. The right connecting rod was broken mid-shaft between the wrist pin and the crank. Neither the pin nor the rod bearings were affected. The remaining attached portion slapped around to destroy the piston skirt and knocked a large hole in the crankcase. Pieces of the rod were found in the transmission chamber. Fortunately, the tranny did not seize during that 40 mile ride. He said his hands were numb from the vibration!!!
We were able to obtain a replacement engine from eBay. My question now is what to do with all the good parts that were NOT destroyed in the blow-up. I will be glad to get these to anyone on the forum for the price of shipping and packaging. If you need a particular part, let me know and I'll get a photo of it.
Larry/Monterey,TN

·
Registered
33 Posts
My engine is running fine so i wont need any engine parts,
But if you are looking to part out pieces of the old motor, post this in the classified section!
More people looking for parts will be able to see it.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I think Phil had a similar experience. I'll let him elaborate.

It is apparently a known issue.

I recall maybe 3 or 4 threads in the 7-8 years I have been on this forum. I remember one case where the engine was still running without any visible exterior damage.

·
Registered
24,167 Posts
yup rods can fracture i had one snap closer to the crank about an inch and a half up the rod

nothing got tangled up and it kept running if you needed a 500 pound martini shaker it did the job

but i drove it home and parked it 16 miles of vibratory fun

·
Registered
33 Posts
So are the rods the weakest link on the cx500 engine?

I was planning on doing the triple bypass and getting the rods and crankshaft shotpeened while i was at it.
I am not looking for massive power, i just want something reliable that i can ride spiritedly without having to worry

·
Registered
184 Posts
NO the rods are not the weakest point . Concerning rods it is usually the brain of some owners and to do with not changing oil .

1980 CX 500 Deluxe

previous owners maybe?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts