Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm short as hell and i can barely tip toe on this 1980 cx500 i bought. Anyone have any tips on getting this thing lower? The bike is 100% original.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I'm 5'4 and here is what I did. Changed rear shocks from 320mm to 310mm, lowered forks 3/4" and cut down the seat. It is comfortable for me now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm 5'4 and here is what I did. Changed rear shocks from 320mm to 310mm, lowered forks 3/4" and cut down the seat. It is comfortable for me now.

Im 5'5 so thats a great idea... have any idea where to find the shocks? links would be great or just a general idea where to look. Also thank you for the quick reply :) im chuck by the way

·
Registered
388 Posts
You could cut some foam out of the seat and get it reupholstered, that would be the most reliable way of dropping it.

Dropping the front fork down will change the riding geometry and could adversely impact handling (catastrophically). This could be cancelled by lowering the rear a similar amount, but;

Lowering the rear too much will put too much strain on the driveshaft and you'll chew them up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could cut some foam out of the seat and get it reupholstered, that would be the most reliable way of dropping it.

Dropping the front fork down will change the riding geometry and could adversely impact handling (catastrophically). This could be cancelled by lowering the rear a similar amount, but;

Lowering the rear too much will put too much strain on the driveshaft and you'll chew them up.

I do not need it lowered much as you can see from my profile picture. Just enough to where i find the ride a bit more stable when i stop. I was thinking of taking the original seat of and replacing with a solo seat i can find junk somewhere and stripping foam off and reupholstering it as well as lowering it just a touch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
If you find any from the US post it, I would be curious to see. Others I found on eBay were from italy and Australia.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
FWIW, there is no guarantee the product is from the US if sold by a US company.

Witness: WalMart, Lowes, Home Depot, most clothing and shoe stores, TV, electronics..................

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Half the problem is the width of the seat. Taking some foam out and recontouring will be the easiest way to go for the least money.

Or wear platform soled boots.... ;-)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts