Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an Ultrasonic cleaner from harbor freight and have used it on a few parts but I am not seeing a noticeable diffrence. Is there a solution I should use other than water? multiple cycles? I dont want to feal like I threw 70 bucks sown the drain. Or will it clean only certian parts?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I've been using Simple Green with water, maybe 1/2 & 1/2 for tough parts. Use the heater cycle too (TC). I find it helps to take an old toothbrush after each cycle.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Larry sure likes that Super Clean. I think Castrol makes it. All the car places carry it. I have not used it, just be sure to read the warnings, I don't want to be blamed if it melts your carbs.

Ed

·
Registered
590 Posts
Start with hot water and put the heater on.

I use Simple Green concentrate degreaser (Purple), and dilute about 10:1

Multiple cycles up to a total of an hour or two should show you dirty solution and cleaner parts.

Its like magic but not instant magic.

Stan

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have much better results when the parts are suspended in the solution rather than resting against the sides or bottom. I usually use two batches of solution also, maybe 3 if the parts are filthy. If you use the heat cycle and no cover make sure the solvent level doesn't drop down too far. I used to use Simple Green, but found out they advise against long exposure to aluminum (i.e. over 10 minutes):

http://www.simplegreen.com/solutions_faqs.php?search_query=aluminum

Supposedly there is some Simple Green out there that is safe for aluminum, but I haven't tracked it down yet. Hot tip was Lowe's stores.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I Have been using Simple Green Pro HD. It is only sold by Home Depot, so I don't know if the "HD" stands for Heavy Duty or Home Depot, but the stuff is absolutely safe for aluminum and works every bit as well as the green Simple Green. I mix it (roughly) a 10:1 ratio in the Harbor Freight ultrasonic and have been very pleased with the results. It runs about $15.00/gallon. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I think the idea is that it works better over time, so if you only spend an hour the results aren't going to wow you. Also, it is more about getting to places you couldn't (better jet cleaning etc) than getting to the wide open spots.

·
Registered
223 Posts
+1 on the Simple Green HD; as Bryan said, available only at Home Depot.

I've been using a 4:1 mixture, looks like I'll scale back, based on Bryan's comment.

Greg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.