Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Does anyone know where I can get the crossover for the front forks, so they both have the same pressure. Any help on this matter sure would help. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
What is the year and model of your bike? Please edit your signature so this information is displayed.

The crossover hose was not used on most bikes. The GL500's had it but the GL650's did not. I don't think any of the CX's had it.

The GL500 parts show up on ebay occasionally but they would likely not fit most bikes.

This thread may be of some interest.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the year and model of your bike? Please edit your signature so this information is displayed.

The crossover hose was not used on most bikes. The GL500's had it but the GL650's did not. I don't think any of the CX's had it.

The GL500 parts show up on ebay occasionally but they would likely not fit most bikes.

This thread may be of some interest.
1983 650 it has one on it but the hose is broken, and one fitting is bad, takes a 1.5" wrench to remove it

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I recall correctly, Dennis Kirk had a hose kit for the GL650 a few years ago. But they don't have it listed now.

Can you post a photo of yours?

I don't have pictures right now, it's in a thousand pieces, I am going to change colors, it's silver now, some may think it a sin to do that tho, lol I'm in the sign business and can make the decals and stripes, I'm thinking of turquoise and cream.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts

My 82 CX500 Custom had one Schraeder valve on the right fork and a cross over to the left fork.

Joel in the Couve

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
And I just realized that my GL500 does too.

*edit* I guess I didn't read the whole dang thing.....sorry

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Any shop that builds hydrolic hoses should be able to make one for you if you bring your old one in with you.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,698 Posts
Advantage of having one valve + crossover hose: You only have to add air to one place and both forks always have the same pressure. (Call this laziness or, if you are feeling charitable, convenience.)

Disadvantage to having the above mentioned setup: If a fork seal fails you loose pressure in both forks. (Call this dangerous.)

I hit a pothole and blew a fork seal on my GL500 and had to drive it home with virtually no front suspension. This was not the most pleasant experience.

Since then every bike I have owned has had separate valves on each fork and no crossover hose, whether it came that way or I had to convert it. As a side benefit, you don't have to remove the hose to remove one fork leg.

It is not as big a deal as you might think if the forks do not have exactly the same air pressure - some bikes come from the factory with different springs left & right and even different shocks (eg. GL1500 has one non-adjustable coil over shock and one air shock).

It is even better if you go through the page linked below and make proper spacers for your forks so that they either do not need air or need a minimal amount of air.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Suspension2.html

·
Registered
816 Posts
You may want to post a WTB on the Buying/Selling section and see who responds. Or search over there, lots of parts are on sale, and some one may have one available.

I have an '82 custom parts bike, but I want to hold on to my crossover if I choose to use the forks in the future. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.