Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Topic title says it all.

Can my fellow board members suggest an alternative bulb for the CX/GL bikes that is bright enough to see at night but safe to use in our electrical systems.

I have the original headlight bulb now and can't see more than a cager's length in front of me. My '81 GL500 charges well and the battery is always fully charged.

Thanks Folks

Danno

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a Sylvania Silverstar on my bike and it's really bright. I see just fine at night with my tinted visor. It's a 9003/HB2 bulb. It plugs right in to the socket.

·
Super Moderator
15,413 Posts
If you have the room for a ballast and extra wiring an HID kit is nice. Very easy on a bike with a fairing. A bit harder naked.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have the room for a ballast and extra wiring an HID kit is nice. Very easy on a bike with a fairing. A bit harder naked.

Hey Blindstitch, what are you running on yours ?

I have a 1981 naked wing. I have three in fact, two with titles. I have the hard luggage but I really don't like the fairing. I have a full, clear shield instead. I don't want to overload my charging system...

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
HID headlights use about 1/3rd less power than a standard bulb and put out between 3-4 times the light. Be sure to order a white bulb when you order though as technically the HID bulbs are illegal on vehicles not factory equipped with them and they are easy to spot if they are the colored bulbs.

If you have your head light adjusted properly you will never be challenged for too bright a light. Yet, you will be able to see black stones on blacktop at night!

I recommend that you get the type of bulb with the sliding metal shield for going between bright and dim verse the the two bulbs in one. At the same time if you get the two bulbs in one you will never need the high beam anyway.

I have been running HIDs on my bikes for 10 years now and will not be without one in the future. They are now very cheap compared to 10 years ago when I bought my first one for $250. Now you can get them for $50 or less.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts