Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know some of you guys paints ur bikes my question is any easy way to strip the paint from the plastics on these beasts. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
533 Posts
Ok I know some of you guys paints ur bikes my question is any easy way to strip the paint from the plastics on these beasts. Thanks in advance
I don't think you really have to "strip" it off. Just sand it down until you are through the clear and somewhere in between the paint and primer. I don't think you want to go as deep as the plastic. At that point you should only have to clean the surface with a good pre-paint cleaner and apply a good primer. From there you should be set for paint and clear coat.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The little front cover on the '78 CX500: you can use paint remover (dunno what you call it in proper English). It's very agressive stuff.

The side covers: DON'T use paint remover, it will eat the covers (see pic below).

The back fender: I don't know.

The tank: have it sandblasted and try to have it grounded by the same guy. This way it will be protected from rust right away.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SBo thanks maybe i will not try to take it down a good sanding like you suggest, and i will get red lead to fill any little imperfections. before primer. I think when i was cleaning the parts when i did cam chain that crap or something got onto the side covers and tank and now the paint looks like crapola so now i and sanding which is taking a long time on one of the side covers and then gonna try to figure a paint color thinking of anodized blue IDK yet figure i would sand a bit prime a cover then mess around with color choices. Thanks Jimi yeah we dont want none of that hahaha

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
You can use paint stripper but you have to know the technique.You paint it on and leave for only a max of 5 mins.This softens the paint.Then neutralize with water or thinners.Then the paint will sand easier.You cannot use stripper to take it all the way down

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I don't think there's any good way to use stripper, at least no way that's going to save you any time. Even the mildest of strippers will leave you with a sub surface which will take much more prep time than prepping over the existing paint.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank for the info i opted to just sand down the old paint in its steps use some filler primer if needed and then prep for the paint just testing a cover right. got a few colors in mind, one I get the right color its off to the auto paint store my brother in law can paint them at his work place.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
That's what I'm doing - just sanding the sides. I have one rather small 1/16" dent I need to fill in then resand but I'll end up using 1000 grit under running water then going for the very light build sandable primer and sanding again with the 1000.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts