Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stubby legs have me on tip toe at stops, I was ok with this till I developed a sharp pain in my right foot.

I haven't even looked at whats involved in lowering the pro-link, but I know other single shock bikes have lowering kits available.

Any thoughts, or ideas?

·
Registered
168 Posts
You can't play much with the rear suspension because it will quickly rub on the inner fender. You can keep the air pressure as low as comfortable, both front and rear, which probaly is the easiest bit of help on the matter.

I also have in the shed a modified GL500 seat that has about 1 inch of foam removed. It does lower the driver a bit but at the cost of significant loos of butt comfort, which explains why it is in the shed!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
My stubby legs have me on tip toe at stops, I was ok with this till I developed a sharp pain in my right foot.

I haven't even looked at whats involved in lowering the pro-link, but I know other single shock bikes have lowering kits available.

Any thoughts, or ideas?

You can lower the front by raising the forks up to an inch in the head set. This will also result in quicker steering. You can lower front and rear ride height by decreasing the suspension air pressure, as John W pointed out. I am running 15 psi in rear shock and 0 psi in front forks right now. I have recently serviced both ends and have Progressive brand springs plus higher oil level in forks and have increased oil level in rear shock so I can use less air pressure. All this has lowered my bike a little, so I don't have to tippy toe it at all (28" inseam). Moving forward to the narrow front of the seat will let your legs reach further as well, as will wearing boots with thicker soles, like the Icon Tarmac boot for example.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm 5'2" with a 27" inseam. I run 15 psi in the rear and 10 psi in the front. The forks have been pushed up in the triple clamps 1.6" measured from the top of the cap to the top of the triple clamp. The low air pressure works fine for my 140 pounds. I also use 10W fork oil. The bike handles fine with this setup. Beware though, lowering the front end does change the handling a bit, so you may take a short while to adjust.

I tried to lower it more, but it wouldn't sit on the side stand. As it is, I have to make sure it's solidly on the stand before I let go. Also, I get on and off with it on the side stand. Reduces the chance of tipping over. It's also a bit more difficult to put on the center stand.

I am considering removing some foam from the edges of the seat to give me a little better reach.

TT

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.