Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I've been reading through posts but it looks like the more recent posts are about a year old so here goes.

I originally started collecting parts roughly 2 years ago but had to delay due to a growing family and a shed/shop rebuild. Anyhow... I had already purchased Murrays Carbs and his coil on plug kit, seals, o-rings etc in preparation for the rebuild but stopped acquiring other components ie electricals as the thread title implies.

I recently completed installation of a new cam chain, guides, mech and oil seals along with other o-rings. But before I get to the rear motor cover reassembly stage I wanted to check out my ignition system and stator.

I performed the stator check and got good numbers back on everything with the exception of the following.
5/3 = 0 ohm
5/7 = 0 ohm (get values as high as 193 when turning engine over by hand)
5/9 = 0 ohm (get values as high as 182 when turning engine over by hand)

At this point if I did my research correctly I need to convert my stock ignition over to Rae-San or Ignitech. Currently I'm leaning toward the G8/Rae-San full hall setup.

Researching the forum it looks like I'm running into the dated information and just want to clarify I'm attempting to order the correct parts. From some other threads I've read one of the go to stators is the Caltric G8 and the Motofaction page indicates the part number to be ST139. When I go digging on Caltrics webpage I seem to only turn up the stator with part number ST340.

Will the ST340 stator work on a 79' CX500C (CDI) or is this a completely different part and I'm just a dummy when it comes to locating the correct part?

Also if anyone has opinions/recommendations on the best ignition setup to go with Murrays Carbs and COP that is welcome info as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the late reply, busy weekend.
I ran out and retested with the meter on 2k, I'm getting .209 on 5/7 and still 0 on 5/3 pins. Pulled the advancer and tested on the bench with the same results.

I assume that my advance pulser is shot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I cant seem to find the thread in my phone where I got a response. Another member noted that they had installed both with no problems so I went ahead and ordered the ST340 from caltric.
It installs fine but with a newborn I havent gotten any further with testing to verify it works with the Rae-San full hall setup I have now.

·
Super Moderator
21,125 Posts
It will work with it.

Make sure the stator is installed level on its mounting flange and is not sitting on any screws attaching grounds or wire guides on the stator. Sometimes the cheap replacements are a bit generic as the basic core fits a number of machines and you can't please every bike every time.

On some you need to move a screw or dremel a small rebate in the cover.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've got a 79 cx500 and just put the st340 in it with an ignitech. Like cxphreak said a screw will probably be in the way. I couldn't get the screw out to move it and didn't want to grind the case so I grinded the screw head down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts