Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
that hole should not penetrate the tank? Is it leaking there? do you need another emblem.

I do not use tank coatings... I only patch tanks with metal and let a pro do it., if the seams are shot and cannot be welded at a reasonable cost and good result, It's an ornament for the garage wall....

if it's just a screw hole up on the side, I might threadlock a screw into it, cut off the head, and cover it with Jb Metal...

I'm sure others will chime in... Should that hole penetrate the tank?

·
Registered
126 Posts
will a custom tank fit on the deluxe frame?

Direct from Blindstitch when I asked a similar question:

Pull the seat, put the custom tank on, Prop it up with a spacer or two so it looks right and drill a hole into either side of the frame to hold the tank. If you have access to a welder you could weld a nut on either side but it's no big deal.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I have had good lasting results with a product called Seal-All. It is made to seal up gas tanks. It comes in a tube like RTV. It STINKS when it is drying, but when dry gas/ ethenol wont degrade it and it is hard enough to sand. I even used it in a high pressure area on a line to my carb on my boat. Been holding for years. Starts to set fast. No mixing.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tap the area with a small ball pain hammer so it's lightly dented.Make a small dot of steel tape

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cool...596174QQ_trksidZp3286Q2em7QQitemZ390252156896

Useful to have for sealing exhausts between collector and cans/downpipes.

just big enough to cover the hole.Then try some of this in it.Let set and sand down a bit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/J-B-...t=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item2c5ba9c290

I like this method. Is the steel tape necessary? I'm thinking I could just dent inwards, then put in a nail head (with 1/8" of the nail on it) glued in place (with the kwiksteel) then apply more kwiksteel over that, then sand flat.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
I like this method. Is the steel tape necessary? I'm thinking I could just dent inwards, then put in a nail head (with 1/8" of the nail on it) glued in place (with the kwiksteel) then apply more kwiksteel over that, then sand flat.

I don't see why not so long as whatever you use to cover it is fuel resistant.See Nate's link as well as that stuff looks good
We shall not be defeated

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.