Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, another newbie here. been lurkin for some time though. new to this forum but not new to bikes or some other forums. don't get much chance to log on and post but have a few spare minutes now. bought a 1982 cx500 custom for a lady friend last summer up in the seattle area. 7,800 miles and always garaged and he had it serviced and gone through before he sold it. it's like show room new. he said it was to tall for him and he never rode it. i mean 7'800 miles in 28 years..... geeeez. he finally bought a low cruiser he could flat foot. well it turned out to be an interesting bike so i went out and bought one for myself.
remember a couple a months back a guy had one up in the seattle area for 400.00 bucks and then came down to 200.00 bucks. then one of you guys posted "ok... who was the lucky bastard to get that one"
it was me but the bike is really a full restoration project and barely worth 200 bucks. lots of rust and corrosion but i bought it anyway. i must be a gluten for punishment. like i need another project.
anyway i'll be around from time to time. so hope i'm welcome.

Ravyn

·
Super Moderator
15,404 Posts
Well I'm here. I'm from Northern Michigan. Just moved to Milwaukee 2 years ago.

But David in Wisconsin is from Appleton and I go up there a lot. I believe he was out ice boating on the lake yesterday.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I'm seeing a mild 40°F at the moment but that will soon change, we normally get our worst winter weather starting around now: http://www.4warn.com/ but so far it's just been rather quiet compared to last year however our time is yet to come. Chain saw is ready and oiled up in my car trunk, when we get a storm we usually get a ton of freezing rain first that takes down all the weak trees and power lines (or they crash into each other) then all we get is a few inches of dry snow. Just one thing I miss from living in the Denver area where it really knew how to snow. :)

·
Registered
816 Posts
Welcome Ravyn. Nice set of bikes you own. Guess you know that the board's papa, Charles, likes the TW200 as well. I saw one for sale locally and if I had the cash laying around, I would also take a hard look at it.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Ravyn, well I see why you have not posted, it would wear me out just to list all the bikes in your collection! Besides, you were too busy riding all those bikes to bother with the board! Really, welcome to the board, I am sure you are bringing a wealth of experience for all of us to benefit from. I am glad that you found our "Twisted Twins" interesting. Maybe 2011 will be the year for a west coast HTTA rally.

Gene

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi ragbrian, thanks for the welcome. yup those little tw's sure are fun little trail bikes. i have an 03 and a 94. thinking about maybe selling the 03.

Ravyn

Welcome Ravyn. Nice set of bikes you own. Guess you know that the board's papa, Charles, likes the TW200 as well. I saw one for sale locally and if I had the cash laying around, I would also take a hard look at it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi gene, yeah they keep me busy and broke. hahahaha
most of them are runners and a couple are still restoration projects.

Ravyn

Ravyn, well I see why you have not posted, it would wear me out just to list all the bikes in your collection! Besides, you were too busy riding all those bikes to bother with the board! Really, welcome to the board, I am sure you are bringing a wealth of experience for all of us to benefit from. I am glad that you found our "Twisted Twins" interesting. Maybe 2011 will be the year for a west coast HTTA rally.

Gene

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
hi ragbrian, thanks for the welcome. yup those little tw's sure are fun little trail bikes. i have an 03 and a 94. thinking about maybe selling the 03.

Ravyn

Had a 07 Tw, that lil sucker sure could climb hills with that fat rear tire, but sure was gutless, too bad it was not

a 2 smoker.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yup, you sure are right about being gutless but they are a trail bike not a trail racer and if you ride it like it was ment to be ridden it'll go just about anywhere. my biggest gripe about the tw is the lack of decent suspension. my bultaco alpina is a 2 smoker. now there is a fun bike. still shifts on the right side..... the right side is the right side. hehehehe i still have some old bultaco motors laying around and if i could find a klx roller i could make one hell of a fun bike with that frame and suspension and a 350cc bultaco sherpa-t trials engine. sometimes i get asked why do i have 13 motorcycles ???? i answer..... because i sold one.

Ravyn

Had a 07 Tw, that lil sucker sure could climb hills with that fat rear tire, but sure was gutless, too bad it was not

a 2 smoker.

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
Welcome, Neighbor! That's a heck of a stable you got there. Hope we get the chance to meet up sometime. What part of WA you in?

I know that feeling of getting a pristine 82 custom with 7k on the clock, as that is just what I did 8 years ago, and ironically, was up in the Seattle area as well. A guy who works at my company posted it on our internal classifieds, and as soon as I saw it, I knew I wanted it......had been over 30 years since I had a bike, and the look of it set my itch on big time. Grabbed it that weekend for $1500. Never happier.

Joel in the Couve.

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
Ravyn, that's nice and close! Pop into the Travel section and say howdy in the West Coast riders section, there a quite a few of us around these parts.

A couple of the guys in Portland have given me a hand in the past with minor work on my bike. I have limited hand strength and find it tough to do much wrenching myself. So far, I've just had minor needs; a front engine gasket for a leak and a new set of brake pads/shoes (still tweaking on that stuff to get it right). Last spring I sent my carbs to Larry (LRCxed) for him to do his magic- best investment one can do for these machines if you aren't good at it yourself. I have his book too, if for nothing else but the knowledge.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
warm welcome my friend from the south of spain.

i sse charles has allocated you a bigger post size,jst to get your bikes in.lol

one hell of a garage

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
Ravyn, I noticed in your signature " Green Mountain Vintage Cycle Restorations ". I did a google search and found the old Pacifier.com Geo addy and it turned out to be a dead link. Do you still have a valid website for this? Some may find benefit from it if you do. There is a button when making a post to insert a web link....it is right in the center when you start a post where the smiley face is above...on the line with B I U S etc. Just to the right of the smiley hit that and then paste the link.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Ravyn said:
thanks stitch. i see you are from wisconsin. i was born in oshkosh and moved to fond du lac when i was 8. been out here in oregon and wa. since 1985.

Ravyn
Ravyn,

When did you get out of high school? I lived in Fond du Lac along the lake shore up hwy 45, which meant I went to school in North Fond du Lac.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hi joel, i took the web site down about maybe 5 years or so ago. i was getting pretty busy but i was spending more time on line answering email questions then i could afford to do. i was driving semi at the time trying to take a break from being a mechanic all my life and didn't have the time to devote to it anymore. you make some money but mostly it's a labor of love. i still do restorations for those who ask and actually want to pay for my services but must old vintage bike enthusiast think they are all mechanics and only want advice on how to do things.
i am now a school bus mechanic so i have much more time to devote to motorcycles. plus i have all the same vacation time as the school kids.
took a 7,400 mile 30 day trip on my wing last summer. tough job but someone has to do it hehehehe i would be more then happy to help anyone with whatever they need.

spent many years working as a motorcycle mechanic back in "the day" and then many years working in the experimental research lab for Kiekhaefer Mercury.

thanks for the tip on posting a link. was trying to figure out how to post a pic "i use picasa" but haven't figured it out yet. is there a write up on here some where.

Ravyn

Ravyn, I noticed in your signature " Green Mountain Vintage Cycle Restorations ". I did a google search and found the old Pacifier.com Geo addy and it turned out to be a dead link. Do you still have a valid website for this? Some may find benefit from it if you do. There is a button when making a post to insert a web link....it is right in the center when you start a post where the smiley face is above...on the line with B I U S etc. Just to the right of the smiley hit that and then paste the link.

Joel in the Couve

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
Ravyn,

The photo thing is pretty easy if you have stuff on Picassa. I use that too. In the General Discussion section is the Quick Reference. Many great resources reside there. Here is one regarding the photos, although it is not the way I do it. Basically the idea is to upload your pictures to PhotoBucket.com or other off site storage website. It is best to have two browsers running for this. When you have the picture on Photobucket you want to share, there will be a box with some options, This is what it looks like

In the "Share this Image" part, I just copy the "Direct Link" and then in my post here, I put my cursor in the next line of text and click the "insert image" button, which is the second one to the right of the smiley face I described before. Paste the link and bingo, there it is in your post. Other methods are available, such as thumbnails. Some find using the IMG code works. I guess it depends on the size of the original pictures too. I just haven't tried all those yet.

Hope this helps.

Joel in the Couve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.