Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been brought up before but I can't find the threads on it.

I picked up a couple of Harley mufflers this past weekend and want to install on a 80 CX500 Custom. Do I need to get new gaskets (after 30 years I'm assuming yes)? Where's the best place to get them (again I'm assuming I don't have to get them from a Honda dealership)? If I can remember someone mentioned they use Permatex instead of gaskets. If so, what type of Permatex and what's the benefits?

Thanks in advance for all the help. I find a ton of useful information on this site.

Jon

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Being cheap and all that, I wrapped several thicknesses of heavy duty aluminum foil

around the pipes for a gasket. The foil is somewhat crushable and should be easily removed.

I had salvaged the gaskets but they fell to pieces when I tried to use them. Seems to be working.

The foil can be used to make the pipe larger is needed and also serve as the gasket.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Most honda dealers can still get the proper gasket material for the CX - they were used on a number of different models too. Failing that, I've see people use 'muffler tape' wrapped around until built up enough, and the 'permatex' solution as you indicated. I think Rob Davies pages had a description on how to make some out of Aluminium cans. Anybody remember or have a link to that part of the archives?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I haven't tried it myself, but I know a guy who used the sort of rope material that is used to seal around the doors of wood heaters or stoves. He reckons it works a treat, just wrap some around the pipe and then push it into the H box. It's available very cheap from most hardware stores.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.