Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Needing some advice! My bike is down right now getting painted, and my wife's bike (which I've been riding) is bottoming out the front forks when I stop. I can't have both bikes down, so I don't want to tear into the forks right now. What do you suppose I do? I see a little oil coming from around the seals and coating the upper tubes. I don't know if there is any air in them, because I haven't checked. Do you put oil in by removing the top caps? Should I put any oil in since I don't know how much is in there? Should I put the recommended amount of air into the forks and see if it helps, or will it just leak out and maybe blow the worn seals? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
967 Posts
certainly no expert on forks, but it sounds like your seals are shot, and you have lost enough oil so that your forks offer little to no dampening. I just rebuilt mine on my 79, they were bottoming out, now they are solid, not squishy at all. I think you should be able to just add fluid to the top...not sure how you would drain yours to get clean fluid in there.

I guess to get by you might be able to just keep adding fork oil until your bike gets fixed and then fix hers the proper way later. I think you would just take the caps off and add oil from the top like you mentioned. I would look into the manual and see the recommended oil adding procedure first, or wait for someone who knows exactly what you have.

It would be helpful to have a pic of the forks, or at least know what kind of bike your wife is riding.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rick, that was what I was thinking, but wanted to ask first. Is there any type of additive that would possibly "swell" the seals until the rebuild? I picture myself hitting the front brake and fluid squirting up through fairing at me. LOL The bike is a "82 GL500i

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I'm with Stitch on this one. Get new fork seals and dust seals as well as fork oil or ATF. I just took the forks off of my parts bike tonight and disassembled them. I will put them back together and install them on my bike tomorrow. Even if it's the first time doing this, it can be done in 3 or 4 hours easily. I did both mine and my wife's bike all in one day last year. Unfortunately one of my fork seals gave out at the end of the season last year, so I am doing a change out with the parts bike this year. There is a link for directions in the quick reference section if you need them. Another option would be to change her forks out with the ones on your parts bike until you can change the seals and re-install them.

·
Registered
264 Posts
i have rebuilt mint like 4 or 5 times, i even bought some "leakproof" seals, they worked for an entire season. thought maybe bad slider bushings were letting the forks wobble and tear up seals. replaced them. thought maybe tubes were bent. replaced them. still they wear out every year. i think it is all the added weight due to my front fairing. and i beat it like a red headed step child. when my seals start to leak the air pressure won't hold and that is why they bottom out. put some air in and it will ride great for 1/2 hour. i carry a hand pump in the trunk for keeping it aired up. i am about ready to just put some spacers on top of the springs before i install the caps to stiffen it up and then swich to sae50 or gear lube or something in the forks because when that front end is sagging the bike handles like shit.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I think your bike may have drain bolts on the lowers just to the rear of the axle. This is not the hex head screw that goes up into the piston. You can drain there, open your air valve (remove the core) and push oil back in through the drain holes, or remove the caps and pour into the top. Check the manual for the amount.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.