Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

The long slow process of getting my bike on the road ended today with my first ride. I covered about 50 km mostly out in the country west of London.

I need to practice lots! Made a couple of really wide turns. I even managed a stretch of gravel roads.

Great fun!

Thanks to the list for help working through the occasional problem.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am starting to ride again after an accident put me off bikes 25 years ago.I find the cx is a great bike and predictable for me.The biggest thing I've noticed is it doesn't have near the cornering ability I expected even on new rubber.It has plenty just not as much as I expected, the biggest deal for me is cars they sometimes scare the crap out of me.The first morning I road it to work a guy followed me so close I thought he just got out of jail and was looking for sex.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I did the 20wt in the forks, the suspension seems slightly stiff but ok overall,it has what we in the circle track world called a push.The front seems to skate when cornering at higher speeds.I.E. I want to turn and the bike doesn't seem to care about my opinion.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I did the 20wt in the forks, the suspension seems slightly stiff but ok overall,it has what we in the circle track world called a push.The front seems to skate when cornering at higher speeds.I.E. I want to turn and the bike doesn't seem to care about my opinion.

It may be you.On motorcycles we all naturally,"Counter Steer".You may be fighting something that should come naturally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countersteering

However also see this,

·
Registered
2,272 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Welcome! Try this....go to an empty parking lot and similar to the police riding contest video posted earlier, visually make your own course. Take your eyes of the speedo, tach, don't watch your hand grab the clutch or watch your foot shift....JUST WATCH THE SPOT YOU WANT TO GO TO. It will all come naturally. Keep tightening the distances between the turns. You're a better rider than you think!

Welcome back to the 2-wheeled world!

·
Super Moderator
5,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Time for an update. I had a nice ride today out to Woodstock and back. The bike seems to work better each time out.

Last time out I was riding on Highbury at 100 kph, grooved pavement and windy. Made me slow to 80, where the ride was much more stable. I've a fairing to put on the bike (Hondaline). What effect would that have on the bikes stability in wind?

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I cannot tell you what effect the fairing has in stability as both my CX500s are naked.Neither of mine are unstable at high speeds however your fairing will most likely give better fuel economy than my naked bikes but may suffer from sideways wind buffering that mine don't.

Tip:/Trick.If it's a really windy day and I'm rarely in a rush when I ride my bikes I use country lanes with high hedges<grin>

Way better ride anyway and much more interesting.I love riding through my little Yorkshire villages and Hamlets and back roads and stopping at,"Ye Olde Tea Shoppe"

Note:Up here Kamikaze Pheasants are a peril on these roads

·
Super Moderator
5,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Shep

I can agree with you on the pleasures of riding back roads and staying off the motorways. I was on the 100 kph stretch of road to see how the bike and I would handle it. The grooved pavement was a surprise. That's why I slowed to 80 ish, at which speed I felt much more comfortable and in control. I'll find out about using a fairing when I put it on over the winter. If I don't like it I can always remove it :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.