Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A reminder...Always double check your manual/owners handbook...dont rely on you-tube tutorials....
this vid is interesting round 4.00 to 4.30....

·
Super Moderator
22,316 Posts
How not to do it.

The washer may have already been missing or it's stuck to the old filter. The spring has obviously been fitted to the wrong side of the filter here meaning that the filter will be bypassed by the circulating oil.

Then screws in the dipstick to check the oil. Capacity is 2.8 litres, done this way he'll be lucky if there's 2 litres in it.

But you knew that.....

·
Registered
55 Posts
How tight was the drain plug!
I do mine up snug but not too tight and secure with lock wire

Reactions: bahn88

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BTW-I should add don't want to shame the YouTube poster.....
He seems to have a well equipped workshop including lathes/bench drills.....and posted some sidecar vids.

Just a reminder that each machine is different.....so check the manual!
And just 'cause you found something in a particular order (e.g. the oil filter in this case) doesn't mean its correct.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yeah agree.... maybe he applied K750 knowledge/Or thought he knew it already.....hence my original warning (dont rely on these vids)

·
Super Moderator
22,316 Posts
With the filter installed that way and a thrashing camchain the motor is doomed to have all those bits of alloy and hardened steel lob in the bearings.

Engine doom.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep...demonstrates that we can all learn something...and at one stage might need to eat "humble pie"....
No hidden meaning there....just when you read/watch "gurus"/great enginerrs they are always learning not assuming

·
Super Moderator
22,316 Posts
There's a great 'tutorial' on Delboys garage on changing your coolant.

Del says it should be changed at operating temp.

Then pulls the lower hose to drain the system.

Burns hands. Edits out burning hands.

But in the middle of the draining the overflow bottle magically empties and refills.

Maybe Del learned something but if so never passed on the epiphany and left others to burn themselves.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like some o' Delboys...but know what you sayin'

I've been to many a commercial motorcycle workshop where I see simple things like battery removal causing "sparking".....and that's when "outsiders" are there....:oops:

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I like some o' Delboys...but know what you sayin'

I've been to many a commercial motorcycle workshop where I see simple things like battery removal causing "sparking".....and that's when "outsiders" are there....:oops:
Scary stuff for sure. It's not like someone's life may be endangered due to shoddy work... :oops:

·
Registered
114 Posts
For those who don't know the exact order.....

This image might help ->

Note that the spring (#6) is on top of the washer (#5) which is flat against the filter media/cartridge (#3). The other end of #3 (#13) is the crush washer which is to prevent leakage and galling. These are the consumables for an oil filter change.

Reactions: Gerard and CXPHREAK

·
Registered
114 Posts
And it does list an O-ring (91302-377-000). My memory was that it was a crush washer, but that may have been a different bike/oil change.

As originally posted, can't trust random stuff on the internet. Please double check your work.

·
Super Moderator
22,316 Posts
If you're going to do research through youtube view multiple videos if possible and take notes and at least try to find a consensus from people who at least appear to know what they're doing.

RTFM. - Read the ####ing manual. Learn this as a mantra.

Ask here. There are no stupid questions.

·
Registered
1982 gl500
60 Posts
That is some nasty black oil, I wonder how long that machine has gone since an oil change, or was the filter being bypassed before...

Reactions: CXPHREAK

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I left a comment explaining that the oil will not be filtered if it is assembled that way with a link to this thread.
Thanks for doing....I was going to do the same but my youtube comments show my G-mail/actual name, and it was too late in the day to work out how to change it...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts