Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
You folks were awfully helpful with my oil pressure woes. Perhaps I can glean some additional insight.

While I had the bike apart, I started going over the mechanical butchery of the PO. The mechanical fan looks dangerous- several deep radial cracks and it looks like it has no retaining bolt. Time for replacement or upgrade. I've been reading the conversion threads but there's some specifics in links that no longer work.

I want to do this without cutting the camshaft which is supposedly possible but I can't find enough info on what fans will fit. So far, my plan is to use https://www.ebay.com/p/Temperature-...1dxfhf-hmWfvMwXav4CsqBQoK_WYrxEaAiqsEALw_wcB](this switch) glued to the radiator near the inlet, mounted with one of those through-radiator systems. Wiring is planned to be tapped just before the accessory fusebox with its own inline fuse.

For the fan itself I've seen a fan from a Ducati or Triumph Daytona mentioned frequently. Will either of these fit without truncating the camshaft? Is my wiring plan up to par?

Picture of current fan provided so you can share my cringe.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
There's certainly a lot to be said for the KISS principle, but if you do decide to use an electric fan
I suggest you avoid the through the fin mounted types.
Just been fxing up two 40 year old CX rads to get a bit more life out of them
They're NLA new and I got quotes for recores of £200 onward !
I saw CMSNL list them at 840 euros but have none in stock.
Be warned

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yesterday I applied the angle grinder and 60 seconds later the end of the camshaft was gone to make way for an e-fan. Once the radiator is off it is really easy to get in there and makes life easier to sort out the brackets to mount the fan, which took me considerably longer to think about than actually doing it! I have decided to go with mounting the fan within the OE fan shroud rather than trying to fix the brackets on to the radiator. It is feasible to mount a Ducati fan to the radiator surround without cutting the camshaft end but you are adding lots of up front time to work out ‘how’ and then making some brackets.

Be brave! 63F46321-BB1A-429A-8274-4776FDEA4176.jpeg 9432BE42-A308-4DC8-9130-1F6A12DAED36.jpeg

·
Registered
829 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts