Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Another Budget Cx500 Custom Cafe Build

10K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  exploring/carolina 
#1 ·
Hey all! I picked up a 79 cx500 custom for $600 and a non running bike. Over past month i have collected some parts: Clubman bars, gum grips, front brake pads, brake fluid, oil filter and oil, materials to "raw" my tank, heat proof paint for my wheels, exhaust etc., carb rebuild kits, and having a friend build me a seat. I would love your advice, opinions, and constructive criticism throughout the build. This is my first motorcycle and first build but i have history with cars aswell as several friends who build bikes. Excited to join the club, and hopefully i can start making some progress once it warms up!

Here is bike (i have a lot of work to do)

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Motor vehicle

See less See more
#2 ·
I would like to remove both fenders, gauge cluster, blinkers, h-box, factory battery and airbox. I am debating on keeping stock jetting and dumping exhaust after h-pipe and keeping stock airbox, OR chopping pipes before h-pipe and weld on drag pipes and add pod filters and 9/120 rejet kit. Who has opened up exhaust and air flow and rejetted? Have you experienced trouble or is your bike running better?

I also plan to paint the wheels, forks, exhaust, radiator, gas cap, fuse box, and possibly headlight. I plan to chop rear end, may weld rear loop on, a friend is making a seat similar style to Moto Muccis (one of my biggest inspirations on the build)

Here are a few seat ideas

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

Land vehicle Vehicle Auto part Automotive tire Tire

Bicycle saddle Vehicle Bicycle part Motorcycle Car

Also, i am having trouble running into alot of old stripped bolts, is my only option to drill them out?

Lastly, does anyone have a link to help rebuilding/cleaning the stock carbs? I would buy larrys carb book but am a broke college student looking to save money where i can.

Thanks all!

#5 ·
Welcome to the forum. Do yourself a favor and read through the wiki. There is a ton of useful "how to" information available.

As for a cheap carb resolution I have found only two options. Buy the book and do it the right way or upgrade your carbs. The book is worth the money, but after the cost of the book, cost of the rebuild kit, and cost of labor, I decided to upgrade to Murrayf's mikuni carbs.

Reactions: Mike
#9 ·
Alright will do! Thanks for the advice, ill try heat and if that doesnt work maybe ill try to find myself a extractor kit, first time using extractor so im a bit scared haha. Im gonna try to clean and rebuild carbs first (if i can get damn bolts off) if that fails ill eventually get a set of mikunis. Trying to keep costs as low as possible as im a poor college kid.

#6 ·
Also as far as stripped bolts go, there are a couple options. If they're truly stripped, not just seized, you can pull them with an extractor, cut a line in them with a dremel to use a flathead impact driver, or drill them out. Heat can also help, it just really depends on where the bolt is and how accessible it is.

#7 ·
Matt,
I don't see anything wrong with your current seat, hopefully you'll incorporate the fabric into your new one :p LOL!

Seriously, tho you came to the best forum, all the best luck to you on your build. I too am in the beginning stages and hopefully will be on my way within the hour to pick up a second CX500 parts bike. :D

As far stripped bolts go, it depends if you mean the head of the bolt or the threads? For the head it is usually just a matter of cutting/chiseling a groove in order to extract, if that's not feasible then an extraction tool set is an inexpensive option every bike owner should have, be careful as the are very hard brittle metal which can snap easily. If it is the threads, usually that involves drilling the bolt out carefully without damaging the female threads. If possible and safe to do so, a bit of heat and break free oil can sometimes make all the difference.
Shawn (troutbum)

#10 ·
Today stripped bike down further, tore off gauge cluster, took off headlight, removed battery and stock airbox. Also got some tools today, i plan to chop rear end and exhaust this week. Next up is change oil+oil filter, front brake pads+brake fluid. I am trying to simplify wiring but don't know where to start? how can i get wire harness off or simplified without complete teardown. I'm trying to do the best first time build possible but also trying to consider budget and limited resources and no garage. Thanks!

#11 ·
If it's your first time building, be careful what you chop and cut. The Honda engineers knew what they were doing. Not trying to say things can't be altered, this forum is proof they can, but consult with someone first before you cost yourself a lot of money (or worse).

#13 ·
I thik the best way to make a new wire hareness is to make a drawing of where U want your
switches and stuff placed, and redraw wiering from orig.
When U figured out what U wanna do then use a cardboard plate big enough to simulate youre bike.
0,5 x 1,0 m. should do.
then place and mark of all units and lay down one and one wire, now its easy to sold and connect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.