Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got around to working on the GL650 I picked up over the winter.

Put bike on the lift with center stand down. Carbs were pissing out gas, stuck floats (this bike sat in a garage for 15 years). Lifted it about 2 feet just so I could pinch off the overflow hoses and fill the carbs with cleaner. I was going to strap it down after I got the carbs soaking, to same some time. Went off to get the straps while the carbs were un- gumming.

Came back to find the bike on the ground. My fault, I had the bike too far back on the lift, throwing the CG off. The steel plates of the lift being covered in the gas/varnish I flushed out of the carbs made the surface friction free for easy sliding.

No damage to the bike, nothing, not even a scratch. Providence was on my side as I had removed the left side luggage in order to put air in the tire, and she was only about 2 or 3 feet in the air.

I thought of Phil from Vermont, I posted a picture many moons ago of another bike on the lift and the first thing Phil replied was "why isn't it strapped down".

Reactions: papaji

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
The bike could be fixed, I'm glad you weren't under it! See you next week.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I literally went, awwwwwwwe poor bike. Of course with no one near by, I could just focus on the bike falling. It would totally different if a person was there.
I went down to the other house, that’s for sale, to mow the road ditch. I hadn’t used the B&S 2 cylinder since changing the oil and refining the gas tank. Lo and behold, when I hit the key it wouldn’t spin. I looked at the translucent tank and it was down to the carb needle-and-seat level. Yup, my fresh oil and fresh gas had not been social distancing while I was away. Drained 2 coffee cans work of mix out of the crankcase. Fresh oil, and fired it up to burn off all the gas fumes in and around that nice little engine. Not to self...TURN OFF THE FUEL SHUT OFF NEXT TIME!!!!!!

On a bike carb note, i have used tooth paste and q-tips to clean up the seats in non-replaceable carb seats with very good luck before. And if I was in a pinch, I would do that again, with great confidence that it will get me by. I’ve also used a Brillo or SOS pad on the viton tip to deglaze them too, again, with great success.

·
Super Moderator
14,491 Posts
I use methyl hydrate on a q-tip to clean float valve seats. It dissolves the varnish without abrading the surface or leaving residue.

BTW: You don't need a bike lift to have a close call. When I had my first bike I put it on the centrestand and removed the front wheel. It's geometry/balance let it tip onto the back wheel when the front one was removed and I thought it was stable until I sat on the ground in front of it and tugged on something. It tipped forward onto the forks, came off the stand and landed upright with a fork leg (that had just missed my leg &c) pinning my pant leg so I couldn't get out from under it. Fortunately my wife came out to see why I had yelled and helped get me free and get it back up onto the stand.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought up all the "GM Top End Cleaner" I could find when it went out of production a decade or more ago. It's incredible stuff, cleans everything you soak in it, and it blows out any carbon buildup up the valves, pistons etc. It also gets rid of all mosquitoes within a 2 mile radius if used as directed. ;-)

It freed the carbs right up and the bike sparked to life, debating whether to take the bike on a shakedown run with the 15+ year old tires she's sporting....

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Thankfully no damage to you or the bike.
Looks like the garden chair saved the day (y)

·
Super Moderator
3,990 Posts
Yes, good thing Steve wasn't in his usual position :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts