Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, its 8:00pm, and I am needing to take my alternator rotor off. The shop manual says to use a Metric 20 bolt, and thread it through the center of the rotor, and it will go through and push on what is behind the rotor. The problem is, I do not have a Metric 20 bolt, and none of the big box stores that are open have anything metric that large. I could probably go to fastenal in the morning and get one, but I was really wanting to get the motor taken apart tonight. I tried a claw puller that I have, but it does not fit well. Are there any other ways of taking this off that I could do tonight?

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Tip:Once you have the Starter Flywheel off polish the crankshaft tapered end with some 500 wet and dry and clean off and lube with some clean engine oil when re-fitting.The securing bolt needs to be set to a Max of 72 Ftlbs.I use around 68/70 Ftlbs.

HTH

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tip:Once you have the Starter Flywheel off polish the crankshaft tapered end with some 500 wet and dry and clean off and lube with some clean engine oil when re-fitting.The securing bolt needs to be set to a Max of 72 Ftlbs.I use around 68/70 Ftlbs.

HTH

Thanks for the tip.

G

·
Don't know if you got it off or not ............I used the oil filter bolt to remove the rotor on my 650..........

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Although the oil filter bolt can be used in an emergency it's not recommended as they are brittle and hollow and have been known to snap into the threads causing more problems.Better if possible to get the correct tool or bolt.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Fastenall doesn't carry a metric bolt that large. Turn it in, tap with hammer, turn tap turn tap turn pull tap pull turn...... Do not use a puller as you can bend the starter gear behind the flywheel.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
If all else fails, the "tool" (a hollow bolt) goes for $10 on FleaBay and any of the other sources that will likely come up in a google search.

G

·
Although the oil filter bolt can be used in an emergency it's not recommended as they are brittle and hollow and have been known to snap into the threads causing more problems.Better if possible to get the correct tool or bolt.

My 2 cents.

I will take your two pence worth of advise,and store the good info,..

...I have used the oil filter bolt twice,both rotors came off,but I did ovalise one bolt,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.