Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the topic states. RIGHT before, and, I mean, right BFORE I come to a complete stop, she acts like she wants to die. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out just WTF is going on. Clutch plate/s hanging, and then releasing? Weight transfer sloshing gas into the carbs and flooding?.....I dunno........

·
Registered
100 Posts
[quote name='bearman1' date='17 April 2011 - 07:42 PM' timestamp='1303087377' post='62177']

Just like the topic states. RIGHT before, and, I mean, right BFORE I come to a complete stop, she acts like she wants to die. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out just WTF is going on. Clutch plate/s hanging, and then releasing? Weight transfer sloshing gas into the carbs and flooding?.....I dunno........

[/q

Does it do this when the engine is warmed up? How hard are you stopping? Does stopping harder make it worse?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya, it does it EVERY time. Cold, warm, hot, doesn't seem to matter. I leave the choke on, after I get her started and put my stuff on. (perhaps a minute er 2 at most) and leave it on till I get rolling, then shut it off. She doesn't do it on a rolling stop, only when I come to a complete stop. Hard stop, soft stop..don't matter. Complete stop?..She acts like she wants to die.

I should add: She has just started behaving like this. Maybe I'll turn the idle speed up a wee bit more, and see if she still does it. Right now is right about 1k rpm's.....maybe a tad more.

·
Registered
100 Posts
try picking up the RPM's a little bit more. I know that the manual says 1100 +?- 100, but mine seems to like 1300 the best. do this when the engine is completely warm.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
The last time I had this I had swapped tanks and some crud had got into the float bowls.I re-balanced my carbs but of course didn't have my in-line filter on and I think some crud was in my Aux bottle I use so the Float Needle Valves were sticking.Must have been some fine crud on/in the hole.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeppers, I'll try that and see what shakes loose......

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, Eurovee, it comes down to a right nice idle again. I turned the idle up to ~1200 er so, and that sure didn't hurt it none.

I THINK, Eurovee, that the idle was set to a point where when the engine came back to idle, it was too low for the stator to work properly, and was relying on only battery, and my battery MAY be getting weak (~2 years old er more), and running the headlight and the brake was just overwhleming the battery at that low of an idle. But, I shall see here. I took it out for a (very) brief ride today, as the weather around here is STILL not co-operating.....ARRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
602 Posts
No, Eurovee, it comes down to a right nice idle again. I turned the idle up to ~1200 er so, and that sure didn't hurt it none.

I THINK, Eurovee, that the idle was set to a point where when the engine came back to idle, it was too low for the stator to work properly, and was relying on only battery, and my battery MAY be getting weak (~2 years old er more), and running the headlight and the brake was just overwhleming the battery at that low of an idle. But, I shall see here. I took it out for a (very) brief ride today, as the weather around here is STILL not co-operating.....ARRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

You may be on to something there Bear. Mine did something very similar last year when I had a loose connection on the cable from batt - to earth.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts