Honda CX 500 Forum banner

All the bikes ChopperCharles has owned

20K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  ChopperCharles 
#1 ·
Here's the first batch!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
There's a 75 GL1000 titled frame and a bunch of (titled) CX and GL500 parts bikes I don't have photos for. But I posted photos of every running operational motorcycle I've owned.

Here's the one that got away: Dad sold his Suzuki RE-5 (rotary/wankle motor) several years before he passed away. I would have loved to restore it.

Attachments

#4 ·
Charles, years ago a friend of mine in Atlanta owned a wangle, seems to me I remember a really strange exhaust note with that bike, do you remember? Love that picture of your Dad and the world famous GL "250". BTW the thought just occurred to me I have some pictures of Dick at the Amish rally, would you like to have them on a cd?

Gene

#5 ·
How did you like that F7? I had a KE-125 as my first bike, which was as descendant of that design

#6 ·
Never could get that F7 running right. I think it needed new crank seals. I cleaned about 15 lbs of goo out of the exhaust, rebuilt the carb with all new parts, rebuilt the auto-lube pump, and it would start, rev in neutral no problems, run down the street, and then bog and die and not make it back up the street or restart. Plug was wet with oil - a new plug and it'd start right up again and do the same thing. I ended up selling it for next to nothing. PO said he had the ports opened up and fitted a larger piston, and either he effed it up or it needed new crank seals or something else was wrong. I had too many bikes to stuff into a 1-car garage at that time so I let it go for $300 or so.

Charles.

#7 ·
Wow, you had so much bikes, I'm impressed

#9 ·
I understand from Gene's comment that that is indeed the case - a 250 cc single GL
I'd like to hear that.

#14 ·
run as good as it looks?

#23 ·
Aaand I bought another. This is a Chinese bike, bought from CSC and shipped to my house for $5555. I added the $349 color option and the Zongshen tank badges, rim tape, and a few other parts so that it looks like the bike that I fell in love with in the promotional photos and videos.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motorcycle Vehicle

This thing is a blast! Almost 40 horsepower out of a 380cc parallel twin, and it makes power from 7000-9500rpm. Docile if you want it to be, but if you keep it on the pipe it's an absolute riot. 5 gallon fuel tank, tubless wire wheels, water cooling, and sweet neo retro looks. For $5555. Shipped to me in a crate!

Charles.

#24 ·
Yeah so I bought yet another back in in Aufust. It's a 2022 Benelli TRK 502. I liked my Leoncino so much I got the touring bike with the same motor.

This bike is absolutely the Honda GL500 Interstate of the 2020s. Absolutely enormous, full-size touring machine with factory hard luggage (not shown) and a ridiculously reasonable price ($6500 OTD, plus $1000 for the 3-piece hard luggage set, which hadn't come in yet when I took this photo).

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle