Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ok, all you guys are so nice and I'm so happy to find a GREAT forum about these bikes I'll post a teaser pic or two. Just the front end. It's mostly finished. A wheel cover, fancy copper tube to run the fender light wire through, an all copper spotlight(which started the copper theme), the lovely brass radiator tank and my home made copper handlebars. If I decide to keep it after its completed I have a re_do of the original gauges and the handlebar switches planned for phase 2. Thanks for looking and for all the name suggestions.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
How about Wild Wild West or Dr. Loveless?
It speaks to me like something from the movie set

D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The handlebars will be ok. I've been putting these on bikes for years. They are water pipe but I do some extra work to them to stiffen them up. They give a great look to a bike and I get exactly what I want. What I am a little concerned about is the wheel cover. I took care to make it as uniform as possible and I hope it works out. Thanks for the comments.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Ole Scrappy??
I thought we were talking about a GL??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
'' YARD ART '' ? You haven't even seen the bike . If it's not ridden when I'm done, I'll get rid of it or change it again. It's a shame negative comments are everywhere these days. If you're happy with your stock bike then , more power to you. Some people try to personalize their things for comfort or usability or , just because. I hope you open your mind up a little too ! This is a great forum !

·
Super Moderator
21,265 Posts
I don't like criticism of other peoples work and try to refrain from it myself but I also have concerns about the durability of copper pipe for this application.

I can bend a piece of copper pipe that diameter double in my hands. {I collect scrap}

·
Super Moderator
14,897 Posts
I don't have a problem with people modifying vehicles (my own bikes are far from stock) but I do have a problem with modifications for the sake of style that make it work less well than it did before. I do not believe that your copper pipe handlebars are strong enough and that is a safety issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
That's why I posted a pick of the other bike. I've been riding it for two years with those copper handlebars. I explained, I did some extra work to them to stiffen them up. They're fine, strong and safe. If by "yard art" the rude guy meant it was for looks and not riding ,I won't keep it. I use my stuff even though I like to personalize it. Dang ! I still think this is a great forum and am fortunate to have found it. Thanks for the comments.

·
Super Moderator
4,112 Posts
... I explained, I did some extra work to them to stiffen them up...
Could you tell us what extra work you did to stiffen them up please? It may help someone else who tries to use copper water pipe to make custom handlebars.

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
If my comment hurt. I apologize.
All the secrecy about your build made me wonder.. From the two pics and posts I wonder about safety issues. The front wheel appears to have lost 50% of original breaking capabilities?? I happen to love copper esp after it turns green. Its your bike, build away. However there are horror stories on here from "professional" builders that look cool but are death traps on the road. Bowing out of conservation. Good luck.

·
Registered
890 Posts
If it’s a naked gl500 he has 100% of his brakes. I don’t think I’ll ever be convinced that copper is safe for handle bars, but I’d rather look past that and see the rest of the build. I too don’t like the secrecy of this build. More pictures would be great and would allow for others here to help you with the build.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts