Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally building my GL500. I traded for this thing about 10 yrs ago. I started it every couple of years or so and ran it down the street till about 5 years ago when the old dry rotted tires wouldn't hold any air. I put it in my shop about December last year and started tearing into it. I'm building it in a style that might have rolled out of the showroom in the late 50's or early 60's. Not a bobber style but factory stock from that period. I'm about 75% finished and I thought " I'm changing everything why not the name too ? " . So I'm looking for a make and model name that would be popular in that period. What I have so far is " DAYTONA ROCKET " or " SPEEDMASTER 500" I don't really like either so I'm hoping you guys can help. I'll be making the name plates and attaching them to the tank and side covers. The style is sort of like a HONDA DREAM at that time.
Thanks in advance, Mark

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No picx till I'm done. While I think it looks AWESOME as I work on it, It may turn out quite silly looking too. It's that different from anything I've seen. While I love a café racer, mainly a BRAT style, this bike reminds me more of , like I said , a HONDA DREAM. I'll make a deal, you guys help w a name and I'll post pics when I'm done whether it looks stupid or not. I'm guessing 3 months I'll be finished. By the way, I've been on a couple other motorcycle forums that seem a little dead. I'm surprised to find an super active forum about a 40 year old bike. Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
967 Posts
Dreamwing? Nah...

·
Registered
967 Posts
Got it! Twisted dream! (from the reference of "twisted twin" these bikes are sometimes referred by).

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
No picx till I'm done. While I think it looks AWESOME as I work on it, It may turn out quite silly looking too. It's that different from anything I've seen. While I love a café racer, mainly a BRAT style, this bike reminds me more of , like I said , a HONDA DREAM. I'll make a deal, you guys help w a name and I'll post pics when I'm done whether it looks stupid or not. I'm guessing 3 months I'll be finished. By the way, I've been on a couple other motorcycle forums that seem a little dead. I'm surprised to find an super active forum about a 40 year old bike. Thanks, Mark
Probably best to delete this thread until you are ready to actually show us what you built or are building.

·
Registered
354 Posts
How about NightMare?

·
Super Moderator
4,112 Posts
Silverdream

·
Super Moderator
14,897 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please add your location to your profile and your bike's model and model year (NOT year first registered) to your signature (see Forum Settings link in my signature) so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (you can change thst at any time when you choose a name for your project).

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 38 years old and besides the neglect it suffered for the first decade you owned it that means nearly 3 decades of Previous Owners who may or may not have done the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage. I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. You mentioned the tires but don't forget things like the rad hoses, the rubber parts inside the caliper(s) and master cylinder and the brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years).

As for a name, we really need to see what it looks like (or at least a concept sketch) before a truly appropriate name can be suggested......

:vs_pics::vs_pics::vs_pics:

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Bucephalus

Cant have Rocinante, thats my bike

"Rocinante is not only Don Quixote's horse, but also his double:
like Don Quixote, he is awkward, past his prime, and engaged in a task beyond his capacities"

tru dat.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Rathe Wing or Winged Rathe.

·
Super Moderator
14,897 Posts
Not sure what you mean there.

rathe:
adjective
1 archaic, literary (of a person or their actions) prompt and eager.
1.1 (of flowers or fruit) blooming or ripening early in the year.
https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/rathe

1 - 20 of 35 Posts