·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I am doing a full front end cbr600rr conversion on my cx500
I ordered the correct parts from all balls
99-3511-5 for the top and 99-3511-5 for the bottom
The bottom kit comes with two additional washers: a thicker one of smaller radius and a thinner one of larger radius
I've read several posts on the forum but people seem to use different configurations
What is the correct placement ?

It makes sense to me that larger, thinner washer goes at the very bottom, the dust seal goes on top of it, then comes the bearing which meets the lower race but what about the thicker washer ?
Does it go on the very top?
Does it go in-between the lower race and the frame?
If anyone has a definite answer to this question please let me know.
Thanks

·
Registered
832 Posts
Here's a little vid I made doing mine with a gsxr front and cognito triples. Same principle though. The size or quantity of washers depends on your trial fit to clear stem head from lower triple. The top to give adequate stem thread exposure

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I also did a CBR600RR conversion on my CX500 with the all balls kit, for the button I used the thicker washer, then the dust seal, and then the bearings, however for the top I only used the bearings from all balls and all the original CX components. I have posted my progress if you want to take a look

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I read this somewhere on the forum. Indeed if you want to use a complete cbr600rr front end the top part of the triple tree is not flat and will hit the frame. You can either cut the top triple, buy/make a new triple or cut the metal part off the frame. (You can cut it straight, it allows for the triple to rotate and it's super easy to weld back though welding it back along a curved path might add more strength)
The correct order is indeed from the bottom to the top:
1 washer (the thicker or thinner one, I used the thicker one. It really doesn't matter)
1 dust seal
1 lower bearing
1 lower race

1 upper race
1 upper bearing
1 dust seal

the original cx frame cap which screw on the steering stem perfectly
your triple top
1 nut

Actually, I believe using both of the provided washer might cause a stem length issue
Thank you for your help

1 - 4 of 4 Posts