Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be moving to AK (Anchorage area) in a few months from New Mexico. How is the riding season up there? I have a '78 CX500 that my wife is trying to convince me to sell so, im trying to come up with reasons not to. I have a 3 year old and another on the way so I will need some stong ammo not to get rid of it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well I live in Calgary and my riding season is April til late Oct/early November. We are at a high elevation and inland,

you are going to a low elevation near the ocean. If you have good rain gear and don't mind a little cold I bet you could

ride even longer than me and that is absolutely worth it. Plus if you have a nice bike that you have taken care of you

should hold onto it, because it will be hard to replace, and not actually worth all that much to sell.

·
Registered
13 Posts
In Anchorage ice & snow are usually off the roads for most of April and at least some bikers will be out & about. Actually, a few bikes will be on the road during warm spells (45+f) in late March. You still might see the occasional snow storm into May though. Freeze-up happens by the end of October but there won't be many riders out much after the end of September. Some years the roads will be dry (but cold) into November and a few die hard riders will be out there as long as they are not ice bound.

Summer days are long though, with the Sun going just below the horizon from about midnight to 4 AM in June-July. So there is a whole lot of riders on the roads day and night. Motorcycles are alive and well in the Land of the Midnight Sun.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I live an hour north of Toronto....and have been to the far north twice now. You are moving to the finest riding location I can think of personally! The scenery is breath taking! Not to mention the friendly people everywhere! It truely is a breath of fresh air!!!

Do not sell a bike if you love riding in any fashion. As said above....these bikes aren't worth swat so what's the point....keep her and store it in the back of your garage if necessary until you are allowed to ride once again. We all stop for our young families is seems, sell our bikes and then find ourselves buying another that will cost way more than what we sold, so if you can keep her and just mothball her carefully until the day comes when you ride again!!!

Once again....you lucky bastard!!!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
rowe, you have a unique bike, one that you will probably not be able to replace down the road when the kids are older and you have time to ride. I strongly echo Willys and suggest you put the bike in long time storage. It is early in your life, you should take advantage of advise from old folks such as myself and keep that bike. The day will come when you want & need 'me' time, nothing gives you that time better than a bike. Your better half will get her "me" time when you are out from underfoot and riding your (by then) antique bike!

Gene

·
Registered
802 Posts
Today in Wasilla bikers are in full all out ride mode.

First solid good riding day this season.

Gonna switch over to the cx650 in awhile while the riding is good!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Tomorrow I'll be leaving from Bend Oregon heading toward Alaska, taking my time, hoping to keep it under 300 miles per day. Basically following Hwy 97 once I get to BC, then the Cassier, with a side trip to Hyder. In Alaska I'll ride the Denali Hwy, down to Homer, up to the Arctic Circle, and all around. The old GL is packed and ready to go.

·
Registered
802 Posts
We are have unusually warm weather, clear days, light breeze, in the mid 70's to mid 80's here in Wasilla just north of Anchorage.

If anybody needs to make a pit stop in Wasilla give me a holler, I have a full shop at work, all the tools, I can do tires or anything needed.

We have almost no real night right now, sun is up at midnight, just twilight at 2am and the sun rises at a bit after 3am.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Last time I rode to Alaska I remember riding until after midnight, not realizing what time it was. Brought a good flashlight with extra batteries and didn't use it once.

I'm camped next to the Columbia River near Rufus Oregon and it's 86 degrees and partly cloudy. Indians are building fishing platforms next to where I'm camped. Heading up north of Ellensburg WA tomorrow where I hope it's bit cooler.

Thanks for the offer of help I the old Swing has a problem. It's running great at the moment.

We are have unusually warm weather, clear days, light breeze, in the mid 70's to mid 80's here in Wasilla just north of Anchorage.

If anybody needs to make a pit stop in Wasilla give me a holler, I have a full shop at work, all the tools, I can do tires or anything needed.

We have almost no real night right now, sun is up at midnight, just twilight at 2am and the sun rises at a bit after 3am.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Just in case I miss this thread my shop is at Consteel Concrete in Wasilla at the end of Oat Street just up the road from the Harley Davidson shop off Hyer Road and the Parks Hiway.. There is a really nice RV campground nearby. Send me a message if coming my way here at the forum. I keep both my CX bikes at work while I work on them.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm in Smithers BC and the bike is running great. Was too warm yesterday at Burns Lake, about 86 degrees, but cloudy and cooler this morning.

·
Registered
604 Posts
In Whitehorse now. The bike is purring along as usual. Hasn't used any oil, and no leaks from the water pump seal. The Michelin tires seem to be wearing well and should easily last through the trip. Only got 47 mpg last time I did the calculations from liters/kilometers... The roads are amazing compared to 35 years ago.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Sounds like a great trip so far.

The roads were in pretty good shape last year except for the stretch between Destruction Bay and the AK boundary. Yikes!!
Hopefully they're better this year!

·
Registered
802 Posts
I am at work on the cell right now.

I get to work before 6am everyday so if in wasilla the next couple of days drop on by.

Change the oil vlean off the bugs,lots of bugs fer sure lately, awesome warm days lately.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I think with another cx bike in Alaska soon we may have a half dozen!

I may be buying yet another cx650 in the next week or two, then I really will have a pair of twisted twins, well a trio counting the 500d.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm in Fairbanks at the moment and the bike is running well. Had an oil leak from the front engine cover gasket that oiled my boot really good. Made a new gasket and replaced it at the motorcycle campground in Tok. Turned the big leak into a small occasional drip which is good enough for now.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm back home now. The bike performed flawlessly for over 8500 miles except for the front cover gasket and failure of the aftermarket regulator/rectifier. I hit a moose on 7/4 near Delta Junction and broke my Vetter Fairing so I'll need to replace it. Found a pair of Vetter Fairings in Portland for $50 so I'll have a spare for the next moose. Just bumps and bruises to me. Averaged 47 mpg over the entire trip. Michelin Commander 2 tires holding up amazingly well, should go at least another 8,500 miles. Really tired of mosquitoes!

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
It sounds like quite an adventure. Congratulations!

Do you plan to post a detailed trip report or photos? I know some folks would love to see them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts