Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i was wondering if its ever been done to put air shocks on a cx500? if i recall the gls have them on the rear so why cant a cx?

ideas and info

·
Registered
84 Posts
The GL is a totally different rear suspension - called "ProLink" with a single air assisted oil filled monoshock. I'd send you a picture, but the gunk is so thick back there, all you would see is a black picture.

You may be able to fit a pair of air shocks on the CX, but I'm not sure it would be a big improvement - I'm sure others with experience will comment.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the reason i was asking this about is because i saw on my friends hardley i liked how easy it would be to install only thing i was wondering is the length from the shock i think it would be a better upgrade than the stock shocks that have a little oil in them and seeing how you cant rebuild them i was wanting to go air shock route i can get a set for really really cheap but i thought i would run it by you guys first

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,075 Posts
1981 GL1100 air shocks. You can see the '84 GL1200 air manifold next to the fender.

They're a little taller than stock, but that may just be the 40psi I keep in them. I like the tall stance on my Standard, but I don't know how well it would suit the Custom. Being heavier than average, I like the stiff rear suspension. Handling was greatly improved over the unevenly leaking stock units.

I tried the '84 GL1200 shocks first. They're a full inch longer, and left my rear wheel on the ground when on the center stand. Might not be so bad with the Custom's smaller wheel, so if you want a tall CX500C, let me know. I still have them and the GL1100 manifold.

Credit needs to go to Instructor Pilot. He floated the idea first, though I think I may have had mine in service before he did.

R

P.S. The day I installed these, I stopped to tank up during my shakedown ride. A guy at the next pump looked at my bike and said, "I had a friend in high school with one of those. Hey, you have air shocks!"

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
ok i was wondering if its ever been done to put air shocks on a cx500? if i recall the gls have them on the rear so why cant a cx?

ideas and info
lucky,not many.

i think guys with air rear shocker would soon swop for a cx external set of shockers

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1981 GL1100 air shocks. You can see the '82 GL1200 air manifold next to the fender.

They're a little taller than stock, but that may just be the 40psi I keep in them. I like the tall stance on my Standard, but I don't know how well it would suit the Custom. Being heavier than average, I like the stiff rear suspension. Handling was greatly improved over the unevenly leaking stock units.

I tried the '82 GL1200 shocks first. They're a full inch longer, and left my rear wheel on the ground when on the center stand. Might not be so bad with the Custom's smaller wheel, so if you want a tall CX500C, let me know. I still have them and the GL1100 manifold.

Credit needs to go to Instructor Pilot. He floated the idea first, though I think I may had had mine in service before he did.

R

let me know a price in a pm i am still tossing the idea around i think it would be a hell of a improvement on the bike

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lucky,not many.

i think guys with air rear shocker would soon swop for a cx external set of shockers

i understand that bandit but i am tired of the leaking factor and i want to go air seeing how i have air forks i just think it would be neat to have air at both ends of the bike

·
Registered
12,075 Posts
At the top of this photo, you can see the bracket I made to hold the manifold.

It's a little more flexible than I would like. I need to get a finger under the edge when I apply the chuck.

R

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
on my friends harley it just has the 2 shocks with a small air line that T's into the air valve thats it nothing fancy i want to say the air line is maybe a 1/8 inch not very big at all

·
Registered
12,075 Posts
let me know a price in a pm i am still tossing the idea around i think it would be a hell of a improvement on the bike
Measure first.

These (the shocks I DIDN'T use) are 13.5" uncompressed. I don't know the stock length of the Custom shocks, but it's easy enough to check on the center stand. You may also want to disconnect your shocks and block the wheel up to where the 13.5" shocks would let it hang. That will let you see it from multiple angles and decide if it's what you want, since the trend is to go shorter than stock on the Custom.

R

EDIT: Just to clarify, the stock shock length of the CX500 Standard is 12.5".

The '81 GL1100 shocks are also 12.5".

The '84 GL1200 shocks are 13.5".

·
Registered
12,075 Posts
My 81 Custom's measure at 13.5" from the center to center of the holes when not on the bike... So they're the same length
Interesting. I thought they'd be shorter. I guess these would be a good fit, then.

R

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Could end up being more trouble than they're worth. Modify at will but always keep the old parts around.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have added a set of Harley Davidson full dresser air shocks to my 81 custom. got from e-bay for 80$ with shipping and the shraider valve and air lines. ( i can't remember the exact year but i believe they were from a 2004) just enter Harley Air shocks, there are lots for sale. eyelet to eyelet distance was the same . I believe it was 13.5''. these were a take off and replaced w/ chrome as seems to be common for these guys. I had to press out the upper bushing on the harley shocks and replace with the stock cx bushing. 1 hr start to finish. What a big differece. my 60k originals were shot. I can ride 2 up fully loaded with no sag and have lots of adjustability. these only use 10-24 psi. @ 240 lbs I run mine at 11psi solo.

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
Hey, Phoenix, how dd you press out the bushings and get the old cx ones back in? For the pressure, you just pump up like on the forks? That sounds like something I'd give a thought to for my 82 Custom.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
At least we've got a nearby Harley dealer that's Honda friendly. I'd trust them far more than I would the Honda place.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
At least we've got a nearby Harley dealer that's Honda friendly. I'd trust them far more than I would the Honda place.

hehehe parts?? did some one say parts???? i always loves me parts and i also like the fact that the harley place is honda friendly here all it is how much money do you have.........i know for a fact a new speedo cable for our bikes doesnt cost 45 bucks........

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Unless the speedo cable is broken it just needs a good clean and relube.

Leave your bike in Lynn's hands and repay him with some tools he needs.

I already have a running list of little things he needs.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Unless the speedo cable is broken it just needs a good clean and relube.

no my speedo cable is good there is know issue with it at all

what i was meaning was the dealership here wants 45 bucks for a speedo cable which is nuts thats all i meant by that and i really want to work on the bike with him and not let him do all the work

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey, Phoenix, how dd you press out the bushings and get the old cx ones back in? For the pressure, you just pump up like on the forks? That sounds like something I'd give a thought to for my 82 Custom.
I used a socket larger than the bushing diameter on one side and another the same size on the other side and simply used a bench vise to push the bushing through. it didn't take lots of effort. the cx bushing will just push into the HD shock by hand. these shocks will require a hand pump to inflate as the front forks do. anything more and the bladder or lines will go bang. I use a quality bicycle tire pump.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.