Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone...I have a noobish question....I bought a '79 CX500 Custom that I was cleaning for the first time today and I got the seat off and opened up the air filter......first of all, there was a bunch of corn, wheat, etc in the air filter...so I got that out....but I also smelled gas when I opened it up and there is liquid underneath where the filter goes....is this normal. It looks like oil, or a mix of oil/gas. I am still new to these bikes and bikes in general...I'm just wondering if its supposed to be there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cleaned out the air filter and I drained what I believe is the correct hose. To make sure I got the right one, it was one of the hoses with a cap on the end? The liquid that came out was the same color as that which was in the air filter compartment and I did notice the levels in the compartment went down. I also cut an inch or so off some other hoses which had a lot of build up on them. The bike runs great, but I'm hoping this will improve my MPG....I was sitting at about 42-43 before...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info, I have that all taken care of, now the only thing left is to get my speedo working. It was working a few months back then stopped. I'm thinking it's the cable, but I think I'm just going to take it in and have them look at it, the 2 bulbs also need to be replaced in the speedo housing and I can't seem to get under the fairings to get at it...unless someone knows of an easier way to get at it without taking the speedo off. Tried that and broke a few of the bolts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.