Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Dunlap tires on my GL500i. Going over my winter job list. I was looking at the tires today for type, size etc. I came across the letter & Number I am not sure of. NW 9390. Is this the age of the tire? I heard the age of the tire on on it someplace. Some one said the age is on the tire so you do not buy real old tires some place.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Not quite sure what that particular number will denote but its not the date code. The date code itself will be a 4 figure number that goes in week numbers and 10yr cycles, so, for example a tyre manufactured in mid to late 1990 would read something like 4300, (week 43 of 1999)and in late 1999 would be 1999. Additionally tyres manufactured in the 90's had a small triangular mark placed after the end of the number, and because of this some manufacturers abbreviated the number( which they are entitled to do) to 439(week 43 of 1999). So if you see a code now that is 4309 with no triangle its week 43 of 2009

Additionally the manufacturer will also include a mould number (the physical mould in which the tyre was cured) and a serial number, so that they can in fact pin point where it was made, at what day and time, and which components were used in the tyre. They can also normally tell the tyre builder, and the moulding press operator. These records are kept by law for a minimum of 10 years and normally disposed of between 20-30 yrs later

1 - 2 of 2 Posts