Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weather for March 26th should be better than this last week. Lets reserve the date+time and firm-up details later.

Ride duration and path to be weather dependant. But 3-26 @ 1:00 PM Pacific is a firm date & time. Meeting location could, however unlikely, change to the The Wild Hare or other.

So the team of TimK & Ramprat06 & Rampsbaby & Montana Clifford seek to add Wooterson, Ohm, Floater Dave, and many others.

"First West Coast Ride of 2011 v2.0"

·
Registered
242 Posts
Cool, I will poke my boss to get off early that day, as you said in the 1.0 thread me and you could meet up in Keizer and run up from there, would you have your bike in the van? I did an impromptu ride this morning down to Corvallis via 99w and ran back up I5, I am really liking my new windshield and the bikes running good, I just need to fix the cam seal and vacuum cutoff on the petcock.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, I will poke my boss to get off early that day, as you said in the 1.0 thread me and you could meet up in Keizer and run up from there, would you have your bike in the van? I did an impromptu ride this morning down to Corvallis via 99w and ran back up I5, I am really liking my new windshield and the bikes running good, I just need to fix the cam seal and vacuum cutoff on the petcock.

I would be on the CX at the time I swerve off I-5 northbound onto Chemawa. The ex-wife would be driving the van, and would need to follow us anywhere we go. So I'd have both vehicles. BTW, my son and his family live 3/4 blocks from River Road, and 2 block from the new Keizer City Hall. He lives on Thorman.

As we get closer to 3-26, lets firm-up a meeting location in Keizer. Fat boys like me give directions using Restaurants and Donut shops. You know, like Exit I-5 and get onto Chemawa West-bound. When you see Dairy Queen on the right, drive one-half block further to River Road and Turn left. Drive a Quarter Mile. When you see Shari's in the Safeway parking lot, turn left and wait in easy sight of River Road. Resist urge to buy a Pie.

(Motorcycle windshield has to be removed before driving or winching it into the back end of the Chevy Express Van. And Handlebars need to be torqued around to bit to get the rear-view mirrors under the upper rear door sill and inside. High sissy bars would require a muscular lean to the side to make them fit. So I plan to have the bike out of the van, and re-assembled prior to departing South Salem onto I-5 northbound. FYI. I also mention this so that any members who break-down during the ride, will know there is some labor involved in loading their dead 2-wheeler. I always have tools. I also have a block and tackle, since I obviously need to accommodate loading of deceased motorcycles.)

Montana Clifford

·
Registered
329 Posts
Well Gentlemen, I've put close to 100 miles on the bike the last couple of days. I would do more if it wasn't so darn chilly. I'm ready to ride !

...as long as I can get the day off of work.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well Gentlemen, I've put close to 100 miles on the bike the last couple of days. I would do more if it wasn't so darn chilly. I'm ready to ride !

...as long as I can get the day off of work.

Good. No filter cover leak hopefully, and spry and new clutch. Woo-hoo!

I on the other hand, could only saunter out, start the Motorcycle, and rev it several times to piss-off the neighbors. Still white and silver here. But it is likely to be green at the end of March when we will be getting together for a ride.

Separately, a couple of Spokane riders have made contact, seeking people to ride with. Here in Missoula, Montana, I'm as far from Spokane (169 miles) as Portland, Oregon is from Seattle, Washington.

See you all at the end of the month.

Montana Clifford

Clifford Rhoton

·
Registered
242 Posts
I live behind Whittaker middle school on Lochaven here in Keizer so we could even meet in their parking lot if you want.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I live behind Whittaker middle school on Lochaven here in Keizer so we could even meet in their parking lot if you want.

So, to give us extra time should something go wrong, I would suggest meeting you at 12:15 PM, 3-26-2011, in the West-most parking lot of Whittaker. Seems like there is a church on the East side, but I will aim for the west-most point which should make me very easy to spot. And you already know I would be on Motorcycle, and White Van would be following me about. Good.

I also own 3 VW's. A 74 Super Beetle named Fugly. A 2001 named Dingbat, and a 78 VW Camper ASI/Riviera Camper conversion named "M.P." Uh, "M.P." stands for Money-Pit. Now after saying all this about the VW's, aren't you the CXForum member who mentioned BugRun attendance in 2009 or 2010? I missed 2010.

Montana Clifford

·
Registered
242 Posts
Lol, nope but I know what you are talking about, I see all the guys heading out when they do it working at the gas station. Yes there is a church on both sides of the school, a mega Christian church on the East and a Mormon church on the West
I left a note for my boss to get off at 11am so hopefully he comes through and gets it figured out for me, I really wanna go. I am looking at getting the seal and tank fixed up next week. I talked to my upholstery guy this afternoon when I was taking my dogs for a walk and I might also pop the seats off and have them redone as there is a big crack going down the middle of the front seat.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I might also pop the seats off and have them redone as there is a big crack going down the middle of the front seat.

I have a neighbor with a CX500 Custom who is getting years of use out of the foam brick beneath his missing vinyl. And my leather sissy seat with attached back-pack thing fell-off the sissy bar this last year. (After 30 years, the leather was cracked with visible holes, and what gave-out were the screw attachments to the seat/bag.) So I should be fabricating a replacement seat myself. But my Custom bike's seat is in great condition. The Deluxe will need to be reupholstered.

Churches on both sides of the School? Huh. Well, if you find me waiting for you in the LDS western parking lot, then chalk it up to my advanced years, and aging grey cells.

Montana Clifford

·
Registered
242 Posts
Lol, I think I will get mine done before I am down to the bare foam
I talked to my boss and it looks like I will definitely will be getting off work early for the ride though he is going to take the two days off beforehand and make me work them too
I might ask a guy I know with a FT500 Ascot if he wants to come along too if thats okay, although I don't know if he has got his bike back together yet.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
I got a ride to work in today, as it was the ONE day this week that was decent. Felt good. I'm in as well, with the same caveats as Dave...LOL I'm not too impressed with the weather forecast though.....time will tell as the days go by........AGAIN......

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got a ride to work in today, as it was the ONE day this week that was decent. Felt good. I'm in as well, with the same caveats as Dave...LOL I'm not too impressed with the weather forecast though.....time will tell as the days go by........AGAIN......

Thats ok. If Hurricane Kurt, or Tornado Omar, or Gunter blows in, then we can still eat lunch together on 3-26.

Yesterday afternoon (after work) was my first excursion out into the Montana Rocky Mountains. Bike had some difficulty starting. But having a new battery, and recently rebuilt carbs, makes first start of the new year less dramatic. Weather? Very cold. Well, it was actually 36F. But at 75MPH, the Wind Chill Chart is off-scale, but seems to be about +15F effective temperature. A couple of swerves to avoid ice, or what COULD HAVE been ice.

BTW, I have added some laminated Wind Chill Charts to the Door Prizes when we do get together 3-26. The Wind Chill charts are from the National Weather Service Web Site. For some reason, their charts stop at 60 MPH. Our speed limit here in Montana is 75 MPH, with infrequent excursions into the Tachometer-red-zone, above the speedo 90 line by some distance. So I guess I will need to reproduce the NWS numbers, and then expand their Wind Chill Chart to include Rocky Mountain Weather conditions.

Montana Clifford

·
Registered
313 Posts
Looking to seeing everyone there,

Here's a pic from February meet at the Wild Hare in Canby Oregon.

Montana Clifford, Candi, Rampsbaby, Ramprat06, & TimK

Here's a pic from last year at Hot Lips Pizza near PSU

MotorMatt, Wootersen, & FloaterDave

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On these kinds of rides how often are you guys on freeways and how long do they usually last?

RYSHU: We've never done this before. Some of us have been members of this forum for years and most of us don't know one another. And although I'm from Oregon, I'm sort-of coordinating this get-together and Motorcycle ride from 545 miles east. I'm in Montana, and will be driving to Oregon to participate in this ride.

Now, on 2-26-2011 last month, we tried to have a ride, but the weather was not good enough. So we just met and ate. Picture of the small attendees is above.

We get together again on 3-26 end of this month (the reason for this discussion thread). We are again scheduled to meet at the Freeway rest stop, but our aim will be to leave the realm of Freeways and head into the "interior." Our lay-of-the-land is more akin to your areas approaching Mount Shasta; as in green, wooded, wildlife, scenic, and 2-lane roads most everywhere except for the few freeways we plan on avoiding. How long will this ride last? If the weather is rainy, then I would guess attendance would be low, the ride would last 30 minutes, and we would take 1.5 hours to eat. On the other hand, if the weather is pleasant, then the ride could last a couple of tanks of gas, and then we would find some place to eat dinner together. We are pretty-much playing it by ear. By-the-way, RampRat06 and Wootersen: Where are we riding? Can we go past Silver Creek Falls?

Q: How does one describe Silver Creek Falls to an out-of-towner? I guess the only way to do that is with pictures. Ryshu, send me a PM giving your real E-mail address, and I will send you pictures of the area we will be riding in. It is jaw dropping beautiful.

Montana Clifford

·
Registered
108 Posts
RYSHU: We've never done this before. Some of us have been members of this forum for years and most of us don't know one another. And although I'm from Oregon, I'm sort-of coordinating this get-together and Motorcycle ride from 545 miles east. I'm in Montana, and will be driving to Oregon to participate in this ride.

Now, on 2-26-2011 last month, we tried to have a ride, but the weather was not good enough. So we just met and ate. Picture of the small attendees is above.

We get together again on 3-26 end of this month (the reason for this discussion thread). We are again scheduled to meet at the Freeway rest stop, but our aim will be to leave the realm of Freeways and head into the "interior." Our lay-of-the-land is more akin to your areas approaching Mount Shasta; as in green, wooded, wildlife, scenic, and 2-lane roads most everywhere except for the few freeways we plan on avoiding. How long will this ride last? If the weather is rainy, then I would guess attendance would be low, the ride would last 30 minutes, and we would take 1.5 hours to eat. On the other hand, if the weather is pleasant, then the ride could last a couple of tanks of gas, and then we would find some place to eat dinner together. We are pretty-much playing it by ear. By-the-way, RampRat06 and Wootersen: Where are we riding? Can we go past Silver Creek Falls?

Q: How does one describe Silver Creek Falls to an out-of-towner? I guess the only way to do that is with pictures. Ryshu, send me a PM giving your real E-mail address, and I will send you pictures of the area we will be riding in. It is jaw dropping beautiful.

Montana Clifford

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.