1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
hello all want to say hi, and start my first post with a question. I have a 1979 CX500 and im looking to put an aftermarket speedo on it, what my question is for the option on buying speedometers ive been asked if i need a 1:1 or a 2:1, which do i need? here's the link to the speedo.

thanks,

this is the 2:1 version

http://www.amazon.com/BIKERS-CHOICE..._1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1289885272&sr=1-1
Speedo ratio is 2240=60mph

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...r_id=169550158187&ua=M*F?&itemid=200525396861

·
Registered
269 Posts
How difficult would it be to use an electronic tach? I can only find the electronic matching one.

Depends on how it works, got a link?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I can't find any info on how it works.

But most of these are quite universal and should work with your bike just fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i already purchased that white speedo you linked me earlier at the right ratio, but i want to get the matching tach but all i can seem to find the electric one, so how would i go about getting the electric one to work or will it be a big deal? i also already have this gague sitting at home i was gonna install it has a built in tach but i think its electric as well. i liked the newer white one because it includes all of the indicator lights inside of it. this gauge is like 4" i was going to use and still may. what do you guys think will look better?

the one sitting at home:

the one i just ordered:

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
What's the speedo from. Looks like low rpm's. I suppose it could be controlled by several things but I bet if you can figure out what it's from we can figure out how it works.

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
i already purchased that white speedo you linked me earlier at the right ratio, but i want to get the matching tach but all i can seem to find the electric one, so how would i go about getting the electric one to work or will it be a big deal? i also already have this gague sitting at home i was gonna install it has a built in tach but i think its electric as well. i liked the newer white one because it includes all of the indicator lights inside of it. this gauge is like 4" i was going to use and still may. what do you guys think will look better?

Pretty cool on the tack/speedo, my biggest concern is the tendacy to run over 7k rpm for these bikes.

I wouldn't use a tach that couldn't hit at least 9k rpm, 10k or more would be better.

I bet you could just run a signal wire from one coil to the tack and it would work fine, but hard to say for sure.

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Pretty cool on the tack/speedo, my biggest concern is the tendacy to run over 7k rpm for these bikes.

I wouldn't use a tach that couldn't hit at least 9k rpm, 10k or more would be better.

I bet you could just run a signal wire from one coil to the tack and it would work fine, but hard to say for sure.

Actually doing some reading there are two types of tachs in this concept. One senses 1 coil and the other senses 2 coils. I have a feeling this one would work at half speed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so this is the matching tach Matching Tach, so if i buy this all i will need is the adapter you posted above?

thanks.. will post some completed pictures when done

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
I would just hunt down the right manual tach. It's a lot cheaper than guessing on wiring. Most honda, yamaha, suzuki, kaw bikes are the same ratio so if you cant find 4:1 then look for jap bikes.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts