Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys & gals,

I'm in search of a direct bolt-on master cylinder that will work with my single caliper CX500 D (1980).

I've been looking through the postings, and have seen links to different E-bay stores, etc. But most of the links are outdated, and give the old "401 error" message.

Has anyone found one recently that's fairly cheap and looks good? I'm also hoping that the stock mirror will mount right to it.

Any links would be much appreciated...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks AGB-1, that's a pretty good price...

Do you feel any difference with the smaller piston bore size?

Also... are the threads the right direction for a stock mirror? I thought I read somewhere that the Yamaha mirrors are reverse threads, not sure though...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks AGB-1, that's a pretty good price...

Do you feel any difference with the smaller piston bore size?

Also... are the threads the right direction for a stock mirror? I thought I read somewhere that the Yamaha mirrors are reverse threads, not sure though...

Yes, the difference in the piston bore is significant. Because your pushing less fluid it requires more pressure to apply to get the bike to stop properly. It's an unsettling feeling, IMO. I bought the same one in black for my bike, and yes I had to drill it out a re-tap the threads for the mirror. Also, the lever is quite a bit shorter and I could only use it effectively with two fingers. To each his own, but I did not enjoy it at all.

This is what I use on my bike.

CB750 MC

They clean up nicely, and rebuild kits are easy to come by. They are meant for flat bars however so if your using buckhorns it might be an issue. I was fortunate not to need a rebuild for mine, but it's not difficult to do and they push plenty of fluid.

Now if you really want one of the smaller ones, I'll sell you one cheap......really cheap.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
If you look around eBay you can find one with the same bore and made for a Honda,

alternately "ask seller a question" as he may have them, just not listed or tucked away in his store.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yes, the difference in the piston bore is significant. Because your pushing less fluid it requires more pressure to apply to get the bike to stop properly. It's an unsettling feeling, IMO. I bought the same one in black for my bike, and yes I had to drill it out a re-tap the threads for the mirror. Also, the lever is quite a bit shorter and I could only use it effectively with two fingers. To each his own, but I did not enjoy it at all.

This is what I use on my bike.

CB750 MC

They clean up nicely, and rebuild kits are easy to come by. They are meant for flat bars however so if your using buckhorns it might be an issue. I was fortunate not to need a rebuild for mine, but it's not difficult to do and they push plenty of fluid.

Now if you really want one of the smaller ones, I'll sell you one cheap......really cheap.
If the master cylinder piston bore is smaller, acting on the same size caliper piston, it will require less effort and more lever travel for the same amount of pressure caliper piston output force. This is due to the smaller volume of displaced fluid. The smaller master cylinder piston displaces less fluid in the same amount of travel thus it must travel further for the same amount of force.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help.

I think I may go with a new one from 'USA motorcycles inc.' They have really good prices ($49.99) and alot of people around here seem to like them pretty well.

I've also seen this... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Front-Brake-Master-Cylinder-Honda-CB400-92-98-New-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a6555c3fcQQitemZ250808222716QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I've sent them an e-mail asking what the piston bore diameter is, and if they could send a few more pictures since there's only one angle in the posting (wonder if they'll send a reply?).

I thought about getting a used one on E-bay, but you never know what the condition is... I'd hate to get one that "works well", only to find out that it's on it's last leg.... then I'm back where I started.

I've been working on getting my CX back into running order after getting it in exchange for a plumbing job. The front brakes are one of the last things I need to do before it's road ready. Right now the master cylinder is dry except for a little gunk, and the caliper is seized up on the rotor (I can turn the front tire if I really reef on it.
).

The P/O let it set out in the rain under a tree for, I'm guessing, a very long time. (both spark plug holes were completely full of water).

·
Registered
8,422 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
This type definitely works,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0417764585&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Last post in the thread page 1,

http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/to...__57860__hl__master__fromsearch__1#entry57860

I don't have experience with this exact M/C, but i do have this M/C and it works just fine. I am sure that there is a lot of truth and education in this conversation, but the reality is that it will work. The differences in lever feel and pull will probably be so minimal that unless you're a pro racer, you'll never notice. I say give it a shot, it's pretty cheap. The best and eastest way to change ratio would be to go with the -3 AN steel braided line. The smaller the inside diameter of the line, the more responsive it will be (basically). That's just my two cents.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Like to add a thumbs-up for USA Motorcycles' service as well. First one I got from them was defective, and I e-mailed them. Sent me a replacement no questions asked and they even paid for the shipping. Didn't even want the first one back. Second one worked like a dream. Good guys and a good product.

·
Registered
28 Posts
does anybody have any experience with the master cylinder reservoir kit? The seal is my only concern at this point as I'd like to clean the area beneath the plastic reservoir. It sounds like people have experienced leaking once they break the seal. Has this been a good solution for anybody? its pretty expensive for a rubber box and screws.

Honda CX500 Parts & Accessories - Parts N More - Japanese Vintage Motorcycle Parts[category]=chassis&filters[fitting]=custom

·
Registered
891 Posts
does anybody have any experience with the master cylinder reservoir kit? The seal is my only concern at this point as I'd like to clean the area beneath the plastic reservoir. It sounds like people have experienced leaking once they break the seal. Has this been a good solution for anybody? its pretty expensive for a rubber box and screws.

Honda CX500 Parts & Accessories - Parts N More - Japanese Vintage Motorcycle Parts[category]=chassis&filters[fitting]=custom
Are they OEM honda parts? I just ordered one for my 78 through Bike Bandit after looking at a few brands..
Figured better safe than sorry.. I have had mixed results with after market parts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
it looks like its aftermarket. And its just the plastic reservoir and gasket rather than the whole component, which if it works, sounds convenient. I think I'm going to go ahead and force the mc reservoir out of its housing, and pray that the thing doesn't start to leak. I'd really like to get this thing on the road asap. In the case that it does start to leak, will the front brake be totally un ride able? maybe you keep filling the reservoir, or calk the seam for a temporary fix?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.