Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I recently took my CX500 from Winter Haven, Fl to Penn Run, Pa and back a few months ago, and while I was on the Blue Ridge Pkwy, I realized that I couldn't see shit. In fact, I was relying on the headlights of the guy tailgating me just to see ahead. When I finally turned off and on to a side road, I was going a whopping 10 MPH and still overshooting my headlight. I tried different angles, even had to change the entire front end+headlight in the middle of the trip (long story XD) and that only helped a little bit.

I'm a bit of a noob to anything other than carbs and engines. Are there any of those "Super white" or halogen or whatever bulbs that'll fit in the original CX500 headlight holder? I'm willing to modify slightly, but nothing too serious. I'm also thinking of getting bright yellow fog lights to attach to my forks for added visibility for myself, and for the morons who will inevitably pull out in front of me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, I recently took my CX500 from Winter Haven, Fl to Penn Run, Pa and back a few months ago, and while I was on the Blue Ridge Pkwy, I realized that I couldn't see shit. In fact, I was relying on the headlights of the guy tailgating me just to see ahead. When I finally turned off and on to a side road, I was going a whopping 10 MPH and still overshooting my headlight. I tried different angles, even had to change the entire front end+headlight in the middle of the trip (long story XD) and that only helped a little bit.

I'm a bit of a noob to anything other than carbs and engines. Are there any of those "Super white" or halogen or whatever bulbs that'll fit in the original CX500 headlight holder? I'm willing to modify slightly, but nothing too serious. I'm also thinking of getting bright yellow fog lights to attach to my forks for added visibility for myself, and for the morons who will inevitably pull out in front of me.
there are after market headlite buckets with h-4 bulbs on ebay designated for gl500 , may work if your cx has headlight ears on forks , second issue is there enough power coming out of a pre 1982 cx to drive those lights , there are experts on this forum that can comment of availablr power that will not impact stator life , gary

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Well to answer some of that question.

There are bulbs out there that the cx probably cant handle. I don't know why they make them but there are stupid 90/100 watt bulbs out there and sold everywhere including walmart.

http://www.visionxusa.com/Halogen-B...OW_BEAM_SUPERWHITE_BULB_SET/product_info.html

First we have to know if the original poster has a sealed beam or replaceable H4 bulb.

Some have had good luck with cheap sealed beams.

Have you tried to replace the bulb yet? Maybe it's just the bulb.

Another option is replacing it with an HID and ballast system. It's way brighter and use half the power.

Others have mounted auxiliary lights to their bikes.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I replaced my bulb several years ago with a automotive Sylvania sealed beam, an H4 super white something. A large improvement. then this year I added a 55w auxillary lamp from Tractor supply to the rt side headlight ear and aimed low and at the right side of the road. NOW I CAN SEE. the Stator keeps up with extra light and the main beam on high. I drop to under 12v at around 13-1400 rpm. I use this extra light on misty or rainy nights. since I work nights so most of my traveling is at night. I don't hesitate to ride at night now, rain or not.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm certain that it's the sealed beam type. It's not the bulb, because halfway through my trip I destroyed my front end, got an entire different front end with a different bulb and it was slightly brighter but about the same in the end. I still couldn't see worth crap.

For hooking up an HID light, what modifications would I need to make to the bucket? Or if I wanted to put on a super white or whatever, would it just fit right in there? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Several tips...:)

Use a clear shield for night time riding...save that dark smoke one for the daytime!

Eat more carrots!

Sorry I can't be more of a help on this. My stock GL headlight works fine, but it is different than your CX headlight. I am considering adding driving lights to make myself more visible at night though...

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Found this statement in the "Pilot Safety" section in the following link:

"Even below altitudes where oxygen is required by FAA regulations, night vision can be affected by lower oxygen levels. The risk increases for older pilots, who by 60, require three times the amount of light to have the same vision as a 20-year-old".

I "can't" see as well at night as I could when younger. Guess I should install "bright lights" for improved night vision! Should install a bottle of oxygen, too!
Sorry about the oxygen humor!

http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/products/whats-new/january-2008-readback.html?start=3

·
Registered
382 Posts

My GL500 has one of the headlight buckets that allows me to just swap out H4 halogen bulbs in place of the original sealed beams. A few months ago I went from a 55 watt SilverStar bulb to a 35 watt HID bi-xenon system and have been delighted with the amount of light I have. It uses less power and yet it's brighter. I bought the 6000K version so it has white light. This is the one I bought... $62 shipped.

Installation was fairly straightforward. I installed a ring over the original H4 opening in the back of the bulb mount (what looks like a sealed beam headlight from the front and installs into the headlight bucket. Then it was just a matter of stuffing the ballast under the fuel tank (about 6" behind the front of the frame) and threading the power supply wires to the area under the seat and then to the battery. I spent more time considering how to do it than I did installing it. Then a couple of rides to establish the proper aim so I didn't blind oncoming traffic and I was done. It puts out very good light on both normal and high beams and saves a few watts at the same time.

It's better than the SilverStars and light years (pardon the pun) beyond a sealed beam bulb. They take a moment or so to brighten up when you first turn them on but it is literally just a couple of seconds.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, so my headlight looks like this
. That's not the exact one I'm using, but I'm trying to be precise and avoid confusion as to the type of headlight, not the exact model
. So it's a sealed beam. Now, I came across this here at JC Whitney and it looks like it can be used to replace a sealed beam...is that doable with a CX500? If so, I think that that'd be my best option. Not too expensive, and seems to have great wattage.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
That would replace it.

You should also put your bike type in the signature line. Early model cx's had sealed beams where late models had replaceable bulbs.

I think you may find cheaper bulb sets on ebay.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That would replace it.

You should also put your bike type in the signature line. Early model cx's had sealed beams where late models had replaceable bulbs.

I think you may find cheaper bulb sets on ebay.

Thanks, I wasn't really thinking of that. I usually post over on advrider but figured that this would my forum of choice for questions like this, so I never thought of setting up the profile. Anyhow, I'm looking at this one though it doesn't mention having high/low. I noticed that some lights do mention, some don't. Should that be something to worry about, or is that something that I'm going to have regardless because of how the motorcycle is wired?

I'm a huge noob to electronics so I apologize if that's a stupid question.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
When you see this...

Ultra Blue H4 60/55W bulb is included!!

The higher number is usually the high beam and the low number is the low beam. So yes high/low.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When you see this...

Ultra Blue H4 60/55W bulb is included!!

The higher number is usually the high beam and the low number is the low beam. So yes high/low.

I just facepalmed. Derp de derp on my part. I should have been paying more attention
. Thank you for the assistance. I'll go ahead and place an order on those, and I'll follow up once it arrives and I install it. I'm guessing with that enclosure and everything, if I want to change to a different bulb, I can easily do so and only pay like 4 bucks.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Yep. Quick an easy changes if you ever need to again. Hardest part is removing the sealed beam from the trim. And that isn't hard.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have fitted a head light from a VW golf before, the unit bolts straight in with a bit of help from Mr grinder to zip off some brackets on the unit.

A hell of a lot better than stock as it has a better light pattern, only cost me £5 from a car breaker, a lot cheaper than buyinmg a new one or getting one from a bike breaker.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, it looks like the light he sent me has "OFF ROAD ONLY" stamped all over it, even though he didn't mention this on the seller page. It isn't going to be visible when it's installed, but still kind of annoying. I looked, and had I searched his page and paid a dollar more I could have gotten the DOT approved. Very very annoying when this isn't mentioned to the buyer.

Anyhow, it seems like the DOT approved had sort of ridges on the glass, whereas this is just completely clear. What kind of trouble am I looking at for installing this one and not wasting more time/money on shipping for the DOT approved one? Even if I return this one I have to pay shipping for it and the replacement, plus another buck of course -.-.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Nobody will probably know any better. When questioned being dumb is best. Hell it came with the bike. I've seen a lot of clear ones up front at bike shows. As long as your headlight isn't aimed wrong there won't be any problems.

Got a link to the one you bought?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nobody will probably know any better. When questioned being dumb is best. Hell it came with the bike. I've seen a lot of clear ones up front at bike shows. As long as your headlight isn't aimed wrong there won't be any problems.

Got a link to the one you bought?

This is the page. Took a lot of clicking around to find the one that explicitly says DOT approved. This one even says on the page "You will never go back to yellow sealed lights when you get on the road with these" and etc. Quite misleading, but I talked to a cop friend of mine, and she said that the worst I can get is a "fix it ticket" or if I blind a jackass cop, an improper equipment ticket. I'm considering going on a cross country trip soon, but I doubt that it'll be that big of a deal. I'm going to be sure to have it at a decent angle, I hate the jerkoffs that have lights like these aimed right at my face.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.