Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested to see what aftermarket headlights you guys are running after deleting the stock fairing.

How big are your lights and how did you go about tucking the wires?

I'm looking at a few different kinds, but most don't seem like they would have enough capacity for all the wiring that's inside the stock fairing.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
I wouldn't go any smaller than a 7 inch headlight unless you want wires sticking out. If I went with the headlight you have I would probably cut it in half and add a few inches in the metal and weld it back up so there's enough room for the wires.

The headlight holds both connections for the left and right controls and also the instrument cluster. Mine is packed pretty tight since I have a HID bulb conversion in it and the power supply for my gps.

You also have to fabricate special brackets to use a headlight like you have shown but I assume you knew that.

Are you going to run turn signals?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Not much, the turn signals are a couple of wires each and a flasher. Are you changing handle bars? I have clubmans and the mess grew a lot from the extra length of the control harnesses (or is it harni?).

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Well if I ran without turn signals I would eliminate everything on the left control. Of course that also involves removing the neutral safety switch.

I would also run the headlight off a switch placed on top of the headlight or none at all. Just a simple on and off there removing any need for it on the left control.

Actually if it was just a show bike I might find a way to eliminate everything but the horn and start button from the controls. Those wires should be able to be ran through the handlebars.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It won't be a show bike, but it will be just an around the city bike. The headlight is always on, correct? So no need for the switch - unless it toggles between hi and low. But I like the on-housing idea.

What's the neutral saftey switch?

Does someone make simple universal single button controls? So i could run a single button horn on the left?

Would it be possible to run a single button start on the right? Where would the kill switch go?

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Well the reason for the switch on the headlight would be to shut it off say you wanted to just run the bike at idle for some reason. But like you said it isn't needed.

Actually for the start button you could probably make a new area for the key and start button near the battery area. Then your right control wouldn't even need a button. There would be no kill switch.

The neutral safety switch lets the bike start in neutral only and the clutch switch makes sure the clutch is pulled in at start. They are there to rule out stupidity.

·
Registered
254 Posts
My headlight is chrome 5 3/4" and it looks pretty good on there. Stitch is right though, there is a rats nest of wires that need to be dealt with. Currently I have just zip tied them up behind the headlight, because this fall I will be converting to the CB750 front end that I purchased. I am running the signals right off the headllight mount and also running a custom tach/speedo combo. Those mods mean more wiring mess to deal with.

·
Registered
254 Posts
One more thing, get the headlight with the sidemounts on it. This will allow you to use the universal fork mounts for the headlight. They are cheap and super easy to install. And they look pretty good too!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So you've got a 5 3/4" light and you'd say there's still no way to cram all that wiring in there?

I removed the light on my CX and it does look like quite a bit of a nest.

I'll try to located something in the style I'm looking for around the 7" mark.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Switching from stock shell (w/ modified Hella H4 bulb in cut up reflector) to Buell XB12 headlight. $120 from dealer, wire guard was another $40.

Massive changes to harness, relocated plugs from left switches, moved everything around, moved ignition switch to sidecover. Probably 20 hour to get it all done. Need to fab spacers and bottom bracket to hold it steady.

The Buzzard has CX500 frame, CX650 stem and front fork.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Buzzard,

That's brilliant!

I've always like the hooligan dual-headlight look on Triumph's naked bikes. While the Buell parts you used aren't cheap, the price isn't totally unreasonable.

If I went dual-headlight, I was considering aftermarket car lights: a white fog light for the low beam, and a pencil-beam driving light for the high beam.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice choice with the Buell lights, I'm sure they'll be worth it.

Don't skimp on the replacement if you can afford it. An Arlen Ness eBay knockoff was too cheap to pass up and I wound up having the bulb socket literally melt about 1000 miles from home. No night riding on that trip..

·
Registered
50 Posts
power supply for my gps.

Did you run a new lead for your gps or did you tap into something? I've been looking to install a charger for my phone so i can use it as a gps and was wondering what the best solution is.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.