Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after deciding to chop my 1980 cx about a bit,the first thing to go was the headlight/instrument unit.Fitting a new bates headlight and speedo was easy enough,however the problem now is the temp. gauge.Is there a nice little after market one available or would it be unwise to run the bike without one? I have noticed a lot of bikes on the site - cafe racers and bobbers- what do you guys do?.I look forward to any comments.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have a car water temp gauge that matches my Acewell gauge. Works well, I used the original sender and drilled and tapped it to fit the sender that came with the new gauge.

And the whole bike just for kicks

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
As the bike's water cooled, a temp gauge of some sort is at least nice to have

if not important in order to know alls well.

Acewell type gauges are nice if you want to go that route but there are

other options varying in price and taste.

This 37mm gauge cheap and would need the supplied 1/8th npt sender

fitting in place of the standard CX one

I drilled out and tapped a stock sender to do this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160640236635

(the sellers in Kirkaldy too BTW so you should get it pretty quick)

I have one and it works well but I ripped the guts out fit in a panel

The anodised body would need a wee bit of weather proofing to be ok on a bike

as the lens is only spring koaded and may allow water ingress

This would easy enough to waterproof though.

Now, if your really high class, have the insouciance and swagger to carry it off and can afford the sort ruinously expensive bling only footballers wives would consider as they fritter away husbands ill gotten gains on baubles

gee gaws and plastic surgery

Fishponds Associated Reasearch Technicians offer this

The widdle wubber ducky gauge

It works with the standard CX sender and the wwd's 'buttons' light

in sequence and according to engine temp

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the help guys. I like the look of the little digital one and the shop selling it is only 20 minutes away .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello

I recently installed an Acewell 2853, it has a fuelgauge with bars on board. I checked the manual and saw that the fuelsensor works with a resistor from 0 (full) up to 100 (empty) Ohm, and compared it with the temperaturesensor: hot = low resistance, cold = high resistance. I rewired my CX and instead of using the fuelsensor I connected the temperaturesensor. On a short run I was able to test this installation. I have a temperaturegauge for the oil installed, too, when the engine is cold the fuel shows me that the tank is empty, and when the oil reached 75°C the fuelgauge showed me three bars, it seems to work fine.

cheers

Thomas from Germany

·
Registered
718 Posts
Hello

I recently installed an Acewell 2853, it has a fuelgauge with bars on board. I checked the manual and saw that the fuelsensor works with a resistor from 0 (full) up to 100 (empty) Ohm, and compared it with the temperaturesensor: hot = low resistance, cold = high resistance. I rewired my CX and instead of using the fuelsensor I connected the temperaturesensor. On a short run I was able to test this installation. I have a temperaturegauge for the oil installed, too, when the engine is cold the fuel shows me that the tank is empty, and when the oil reached 75°C the fuelgauge showed me three bars, it seems to work fine.

cheers

Thomas from Germany

That's interesting... Is there a warning indicator that comes on when the gas is low/empty? I imagine that could get kind of annoying if it flashed when the bike was cold.

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
I have one and it works well but I ripped the guts out fit in a panel

Nice, Reg. I like the lights behind the Honda badge.

That gives me an idea for my GL project. Since I plan to relocate the fuse block anyway, I could mount my dashboard LEDs in the handlebar fuse cover.

Thanks,

R

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello

cheers

Thomas from Germany
Hi GLZ,

I know this is an old post but would really appreciate it if you (or anyone else) could explain what wires on my CX500 79’ i need to connect up to the Acewell 2853 blue fuel wire in order for the for the fuel bars on the Acewell 2853 to represent the water temperature of the bike?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I just connected the fuel wire direct to the factory temp sensor wire and works great. Fuel gauge flashes one bar when cold, 2-3 bars when up to running temp, rarely 4 bars if sitting in traffic on a really hot day. Just make sure the temp sensor is grounded in the thermostat housing.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I just connected the fuel wire direct to the factory temp sensor wire and works great. Fuel gauge flashes one bar when cold, 2-3 bars when up to running temp, rarely 4 bars if sitting in traffic on a really hot day. Just make sure the temp sensor is grounded in the thermostat housing.
I'm busy with the same issue... You say: "make sure the temp sensor is grounded in the thermostat housing"... is that not a given? (Just asking) Or how do I check? (Multi meter checking connectivity between ground and the temp sensor?

Lazy question... where do I find the temp sensor on the CX 500?

·
Registered
234 Posts
The temp sensor is threaded into the back of the thermostat housing. It is a given that it should be grounded but yes check with a multimeter. If it's ever been worked on and someone used Teflon tape on the threads, or if the engine was apart and painted, or if it's just old and crudded up could lead to a bad ground.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The temp sensor is threaded into the back of the thermostat housing. It is a given that it should be grounded but yes check with a multimeter. If it's ever been worked on and someone used Teflon tape on the threads, or if the engine was apart and painted, or if it's just old and crudded up could lead to a bad ground.
Thanks!! I assume I can reach there with the tank off??

·
Registered
234 Posts
I had the engine out when I did mine ?. Still a tight space with the tank off but doable I'm sure ?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Here's mine with engine on bike, tank off. Had to remove dam for access.

Sender.jpg

·
Registered
301 Posts
I got my fuel gauge connected direct to the temp sensor as KL Cruiser suggested. I rode the bike for 8 miles but the fuel gauge just kept on flashing.... I was about to give up when a long stop in traffic came up and lo and behold the fuel gauge indicated two blocks!! After pulling away the flashing started again as the bike cooled down. The OEM Honda gauge indicate about 40% before the 3rd party fuel gauge indicated two blocks. It works... however I wonder if it is possible to make the reading a bit more sensitive so the the fuel gauge start indicating sooner?? Thanks KL Cruiser - this is a good tip!! Regards!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the feedback here, I think I'm in the same boat as you Wyn64 (also see you in Western Cape), last night I also connected the fuel wire on my Acewell 2853 to the Temperature sender wire (green/blue) I fired up the bike this morning, let her warm up and set off with the fuel gauge flashing 1 bar. I took a longer way to work and normally with my old after market temp gauge I was using by the time I get to work the gauge would be reading around 65 / 70 degrees Celsius operating temperature. However today when arriving at work after my ride the fuel gauge on the Acewell was still 1 bar flashing.

Surely 70 degrees Celsius is enough to get the fuel gauge sensor reading more than 1 flashing bar?

Could there be another reason?

I have a Koso water temperature sensor that I could swap out the current temperature sensor with, however there are 2 wires coming off the Koso sensor (a red and white) how would I connect those two wires up to the fuel gauge wire on the Acewell?
(Just incase anyone asks why I don't just use the Koso temperature gauge - Im building a tracker and trying to keep the handlebars nice and clean with only the Acewell gauge and would love this fuel gauge work around to be able to roughly keep an eye on the bike temp.)

This is pre-Acewell gauge. Still lots to do.
IMG_940711.jpg

·
Registered
301 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
These gauges work by measuring the voltage across a fixed resistance in series with the sender's variable resistance (look up voltage divider principle if you don't know how that works). That means that the sender has to be a resistance, not a voltage so a voltage amplifier won't work unless you can open up the instrument and add the amplifier between the fixed resistance and the gauge.

What is the recommended sender resistance for the gauge and what is the range of resistance for the engine's sender? It may be possible to add a resistor to bring the sender into the range that the gauge needs....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts