Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what Communicator or intercom system people use on their bikes.....I did a search and it looks like there is/was one that might have come with the GL's but not positive.

Is there a particular brand that is used ,the only one that I am familiar with is Chatter box,and if memory serves a bit pricey.

I looked on Fee-Bay and there are plenty from China(which I try to avoid purchasing from)that look cheap and are inexpensive.

Don't see the wife riding too often with me but thought that one would be nice to have instead of doing the over-the-shoulder-yelling-thing

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Purchased two Motorola GSX900 radios from BestBuy for $53 and two Autocom Kit #23 on sale for $99 each. This works out for bike to bike when my wife is on her bike and when riding two up can take both systems for rider/passenger communications. We ride with other riders and can talk to everyone in the group with radios. The real range is 1 to 1 1/2 miles.

System mounted with camera bag on CRF230L

Helmet installation with boom mic & speakers

Speaker

Boom mic

Push to talk grip installation

Autocom/Motorola combo

·
Registered
269 Posts
We are using a bluetooth system, the Scala Rider Intercom.

Works very well, no wires off your helmets, and good from rider-passenger to upto a half mile.

you can find "teamsets" for as low as $125. but they usually run $150-$200.

·
Registered
170 Posts
To add a little more into the mix.....I used to run a Hein Gericke shop and they sold a variety of intercoms etc, and of all those there were two main winners from all the options. Customers who chose and used the scala rider sets were always very pleased at how easy they were to use, and pair, with other items, and I never had one single complaint about the systems. Also to swap the scala systems from helmet to helmet requires no special tools (other than a provided allen key) and can be done with gloved hands ( I have done it many times). For customers who merely wanted to be able to talk and wanted the least amount of fuss possible they would use hand held ptt radios clipped to their collar so that they could operate the ptt by hand. this meant of course that that had to ride defensively to do so, which they liked and they had no mikes, cables etc to worry about. It is quite possible to work in this way with better results than you might imagine

Personally, I used to travel by motorcycle into the shop each day, conducting a meeting on air with my staff using the scala system so that by the time I arrived, the gameplan for the day was sorted and underway, and this became the daily order of business. However, to be fair, I was using a more advanced scala unit than the basic rider set

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mike lots of comparisons and reading in that link...........

Have to try and decide what I want to spend and what type....I don't see myself communicating with other bikes,just the few times that my wife and I go for a ride

that is one reason I'm not sure if I need a FRS or a Blue tooth type system .I did have an old one that I used with my daughter, it was a 3 inch by 3 inch square box with a volume and a couple of head phone/mic jacks,not the clearest of systems but worked.....I have seen similar by Nady(old stock I think)

Thanks for the info/suggestions,the 4 of you

·
Registered
377 Posts
Mike lots of comparisons and reading in that link...........

Have to try and decide what I want to spend and what type....I don't see myself communicating with other bikes,just the few times that my wife and I go for a ride

that is one reason I'm not sure if I need a FRS or a Blue tooth type system .I did have an old one that I used with my daughter, it was a 3 inch by 3 inch square box with a volume and a couple of head phone/mic jacks,not the clearest of systems but worked.....I have seen similar by Nady(old stock I think)

Thanks for the info/suggestions,the 4 of you
\

Honestly, I don;t use it as an intercom, I use it as a blue tooth device for my phone (to receive calls only) and for my ipod touch, which has blue tooth as well. The jog dial on the SENA allows some control of the Ipod through blue tooth, so you can play, pause, skip forward and skip back just by twisting the large jog dial.

If you just wanted to listen to music, I'd say go with helmet speakers, but the speakers I had would could not go loud enough. I tend to listen to more spoken word content on my ipod rather than music, and the wind noise / engine noise would drown out the podcasts. The Sena speakers get loud, loud enough so I can hear them with my earplugs in with the ind rushing by.

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts