Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went on my first long ride this past weekend on the CX. Riding with two Harleys and a Kawasaki Vulcan, the CX held its on. One of the Harleys tried to walk away from me, no luck, I stayed right with him! On to the point though... one of the Harley riders who also rides a late 70's BMW 750 took mine for a spin and said that my steering felt tight. He asked if I had adjusted it that way. Of course I hadn't. Being new to riding, I asked if he thought it was dangerous and he said absolutely not, but that it would be harder to control at lower speeds.

Any thoughts? Is the steering adjustable? Are there pros or cons to my steering being tight?

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
Steering isn't really adjustable. The rule is to use the right wrench and tighten it up and then back off 1/4 turn.

Also newer tapered bearings are easier than the old balls pinched between two metal races.

·
Registered
377 Posts
You can do a little adjusting, I just messed with mine, as the forks were wobbling a little (I installed new steering stem bearing and they settled in a bit). What I did was undo the steering stem nut, then tap the adjuster tighter. I then re-torqued the steering stem nut (Think max torque is 40 ft/lbs). Then would check the looseness. Since the stem nut tightens it up, i had to loosen it and re-adjust the adjuster a couple times to get it where I wanted.

About the only adjustment you can do is how loose or tight it is, but you can do it.

Mike

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
The worst mistake i made, was to "overtighten" the head bearings when i switched from the ball bearings to roller bearings
(worst sensation of riding i have ever had !!!!)

After backing off the lower nut a 1/4 turn at a time, i found the "sweet" spot.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Sounds like it's really hard to say just based on that one opinion. His BMW could just feel different, have you tried riding anybody's bike to compare?

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I went on my first long ride this past weekend on the CX. Riding with two Harleys and a Kawasaki Vulcan, the CX held its on. One of the Harleys tried to walk away from me, no luck, I stayed right with him! On to the point though... one of the Harley riders who also rides a late 70's BMW 750 took mine for a spin and said that my steering felt tight. He asked if I had adjusted it that way. Of course I hadn't. Being new to riding, I asked if he thought it was dangerous and he said absolutely not, but that it would be harder to control at lower speeds.

Any thoughts? Is the steering adjustable? Are there pros or cons to my steering being tight?
You should be able to sit on the back seat and move the bar with one finger and no force. the wheel should be able to flop to the side without being pushed. If the bearings are too tight they will induce a tank slapper. I learned that the hard way a number of year back. Now if a bike is equipped with a dampener it is a different story.

When I started riding most bikes had mechanical dampeners ... thank goodness those have gone the way of the dinosaur.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.