Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
First the rear brake. I assume you have shoes, not pads on yours. I believe only the "E" models used disks on the rear. I would take the rear wheel off and lightly sand the shoe surface to remove any glaze. Probably sandpaper in the 120-220 range. Also make sure that they are tapered at the leading edges. Put it back together and adjust the nut behind the actuating arm on the wheel to move the arm the amount required for the pedal to only travel the amount you want. You should also be able to adjust the pedal height at rest with an adjustment bolt on the pedal itself. You may have to adjust your brake light switch when you have it where you like it.

The front brakes are of course hydraulic and the action of a piston in the handlebar lever pushes fluid thru the lines to a larger piston in the caliper. This piston then shoves the pad into contact with the rotor. Can you "pump" the handle and get good action? Maybe the fluid is low, or was low and air entered the system. Air when compressed acts like a cushion, and will not transfer the complete pressure to the caliper piston. So, bleed the system and get all (even the very tiny bubbles)of the air out of the system. Make sure there are no leaks allowing the pressure to decrease. These could be at the pistons, fittings, or even the hoses. The rubber hoses also flex and expand a bit themselves. This can cause a "softer" feel to the brakes. Some people like this, some don't. Remember, the internal pressures we are dealing with here may be above 500PSI, so everything needs to be tight.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.