Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First posting on here - I'm working on a 1980 CX500 and have a questions about the air/exhaust.

My plan was to remove the H-box and run straight pipes. I've heard that with straight pipes it's advised to increase airflow and re-jet. I have the jets and pods needed but I'm wondering if there's a way to keep the side panel mounts on the bike, would like to have them to hide the battery / protect the pods from rain. The guy I bought it form said someone did a build where they cut up the airbox so the mounts remained. Has anyone done something like this? Alternatively - has anyone had good results just running straight pipes (no h box) and keeping the stock airbox?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah you're right that could work - since the bottom mounts remain. If I already took off the H-box is it worth spending the time on pods or could I just leave the airbox on and rejet?

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I am an old fogey (pronounced, old fart). I like to keep the H box and the air box,
I do not think I can improve on what the Honda engineers designed for this bike.
I have the H box and open mufflers on my '79 and it is too loud for me,
I can not imagine riding with straight pipes. But in my younger days, much younger,
I did have a very loud Honda CB77/Super Hawk and I liked it, so to each his own.
Do not expect improved performance with straight pipes and pods. Just more noise.

·
Super Moderator
14,132 Posts
It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you are just looking to have an every day runner and you don't want to mess with aftermarket carbs &c but your H box has rusted out or you have some other reason for getting rid of it (mine was in the way of how I wanted to attach my sidecar) you can get rid of it, keep the airbox and leave the jets per original. Lots of us have done that and I have only heard of one who didn't like it (& I suspect he had something else going on that caused his problem).

To eliminate the H box you can cobble up some sort of replacement for the H box out of car exhaust pipe or get something bent to fit at a local muffler shop or you can click the link in Murray's signature and buy a set of pre-bent pipes from him (probably for less than that muffler shop would charge you).

If your intent is to build a fire breathing, pavement wrinkling monster you might consider a set of Murray's carbs too....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts