Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have welded on Murray mid-pipes but where they fall they keep my brake pedal at a lower height that isn't level. Anything I can put on this pedal so it sits level?

As a side note, is it ok to run these as straight pipes? (I'm running Murray's carbs and a rae San, FYI). I really like the simple look. I'm likely to order some baffles to slide into them as they are to cut noise, but the straight pipe look really fits the simple scrambler look I'm moving the bike towards (changing the look later, focusing on performance now).

·
Super Moderator
13,414 Posts
You might get away without mufflers but I wouldn't. Contrary to what you may have heard, loud pipes don't save lives. They only anger your neighbours and encourage legislators to pass laws limiting how much we can modify vehicles.

And then there's the issue of inadequate back pressure and cooking exhaust valves.....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might get away without mufflers but I wouldn't. Contrary to what you may have heard, loud pipes don't save lives. They only anger your neighbours and encourage legislators to pass laws limiting how much we can modify vehicles.

And then there's the issue of inadequate back pressure and cooking exhaust valves.....
Alright, yeah, I was wondering about if I needed more backpressure while running Murray's carbs. I had thought I had read they run rich so backpressure isn't actually needed. I'm thinking of ordering some of these, wrapping them in fiberglass pack, and slipping them in the pipes as they are now.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I could also just cut them and put on my emgo shorty mufflers, but I'm not understanding how I could clamp them on, especially since the only way they fit leaves a margin of space around the sides, as shown

·
Super Moderator
13,414 Posts
I believe engines work better with some exhaust back pressure no matter which carbs they have.

As for the bolt in baffles, anything is better than nothing but the shorties may be better. I'm sure there's a way to hang them but I can't really tell from the angle of your pic.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
As I understand it, an open exhaust is good for making horsepower at high revs but hurts both power and torque at low to mid RPM. I'm sure Murray could comment when he has time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe engines work better with some exhaust back pressure no matter which carbs they have.

As for the bolt in baffles, anything is better than nothing but the shorties may be better. I'm sure there's a way to hang them but I can't really tell from the angle of your pic.
I definitely know i could hang them if I just cut the pipes down to where the hbox ended I could just bolt them to the rear foot pegs like they were before the exhaust modification, I just am missing how they would be actually secured to the pipe since there is like a couple mm of difference between them so they don't fit snug.

·
Super Moderator
13,414 Posts
That pic shows adapters inside the end of the muffler so that it can be used with several sizes of pipe. If you don't have access to adapters like those you can make them from slices of exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright so I ordered a set of baffles and installed them directly into Murray's mid pipes. Dropped the sound to a reasonable level. Took the bike out for a ride and checked by plugs after and their color is right in the good range (they previously had been white/lean). I would definitely recommend this approach to anyone who likes the desert sled look of straight pipes but doesn't want the terrible sound and also wants to keep the bike running well (before these baffles the bike was slow to warm up).

·
Registered
180 Posts
I did the same thing on my current build with the baffle inserts, packing and cutting reliefs so the pipes would clamp down. Added some factory head pipe to muffler gaskets and seems to run very well and suprisingly not terribly loud :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
I did the same thing on my current build with the baffle inserts, packing and cutting reliefs so the pipes would clamp down. Added some factory head pipe to muffler gaskets and seems to run very well and suprisingly not terribly loud :)

View attachment 199610
HI KL Cruiser. very nice build. could you give me some info about the rear shocks (type, length,...)
thanks, Tom

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi Tom,
Yes the rear shocks are off a late model Triumph Bonneville, believe they are 330mm. Picked them up for $40 from a guy who had upgraded to progressives. The bushings were too small so I had to get a little creative there :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts