Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, it's been a couple of months since I bought my bike and am just now getting around to installing this thing. I'm having a problem with the RPM input (yellow cable) and don't know where to place it. The instructions say to wrap it around some cable between the CDI and the H.T. Coil but have not found it in the mess of wires under the seat!
Also, the red and black cables that come with the ace well speedo/tach gauge obviously work when directly fed to both the negative and positive from the battery itself but because I was testing it with one of those Ohm reader/tester things. The red and black cables with clearly power the gauge are not long enough to actually reach so I'd also like to know to what existing cables on my 1980 CX500 I'm actually supposed to be connecting those to!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Screen Shot 2015-09-19 at 4.03.06 PM.png I found the two black cylinders and each has either a pink or yellow attaching to the cdi just like you said but what do i hook up? the RPM cable or the black and red cables from the acewell to provide power to it?

·
Super Moderator
3,260 Posts
Don't hook up the power/ground cables to anything in that circuit.

I'd suggest wrapping the sensor wire around the fatter lead coming out the spark plug side of the coil as the easiest way of starting out.

You will want to hook up the ground wire to one of the green ground wires at the front end of the bike or to one of the ground points, and the power wire to a switched power wire somewhere in the same location... the colour of which completely escapes me right now. Short on coffee. Grab a wiring diagram from the wiki for your model.

You want one of the wires in the bike's harness that stops drawing from the battery when the bike is turned off (switched power) so that you don't drain the battery when the bike is not in use.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi everyone, it's been a couple of months since I bought my bike and am just now getting around to installing this thing. I'm having a problem with the RPM input (yellow cable) and don't know where to place it. The instructions say to wrap it around some cable between the CDI and the H.T. Coil but have not found it in the mess of wires under the seat!
Also, the red and black cables that come with the ace well speedo/tach gauge obviously work when directly fed to both the negative and positive from the battery itself but because I was testing it with one of those Ohm reader/tester things. The red and black cables with clearly power the gauge are not long enough to actually reach so I'd also like to know to what existing cables on my 1980 CX500 I'm actually supposed to be connecting those to!
I installed mine yesterday :)

The rev installation has been addressed above.

http://s9.postimg.org/8webs8ryn/acewell_wiring012.jpg << have a look at this picture.

Black is ground, always grounded.
There are two power cables: brown one (the clock power) needs to always have power - it keeps the clock on. I ran mine to the red wire going into the ignition cluster; the red one, this is powered on when ignition is on. It supplies power to the unit for the back light and general operation. You can wire this to the running lights in the head light loom (I forget the colour fo the cable, but you can look it up in the wiki!

Sorted :)

Reactions: sgthofner

·
Super Moderator
14,789 Posts
Those drawings indicate that you can either 1) connect the tachometer trigger wire directly to the coil's trigger wire OR 2) wrap the tachometer trigger wire around the spark plug wire several times.

I would start by wrapping it around the spark plug wire and if that doesn't work well try connecting it to the coil trigger.

And according to the info CJCombrink has provided you need to make the following power connections:

ACEWELL
HONDA
black
green
brown
red
red
brown/white

BTW: There is a difference between a "wire" and a "cable". A "wire" is a single conductor (either solid or stranded) and a "cable" is two or more insulated conductors that are bonded, twisted or braided together.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Did you come right dude?

I ended up connecting the acewell's red cable to my headlight's black one.

One thing I did notice is that these acewells seem to leak a LOT of voltage via their ground cable. So much so, that they actually powered on an LED by mistake. I am considering adding a diode (only allows current in one direction) onto the ground haha

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup, everything is running fine now, finally! I ended up doing red (acewell) to brown (extra cable that doesn't connect to anything).

·
Super Moderator
14,789 Posts
The brown wire in the headlight is for the parking light where required. Some places (UK & former parts of the Empire mostly) require vehicles parked on unlit roads after dark to be lit on both ends. In those places they put a small additional bulb in the headlight and connect it to the tail light circuit (which, in Hondas, is always the brown wire) so that they oth come on when the key is in PARK.

It probably won't hurt to have the speedometer connected to the tail light circuit except that if/when you accidentally turn the key to PARK instead of OFF the battery will be dead slightly sooner :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts