Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can adjustment of the accelerator pump be done with the carbs still on the bike? i think mines adjusted too high but i don't remember how i adjusted it last time

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
The accelerator pump is rarely adjusted. The procedure is in the manual, and involves measuring the distance to the pump rod from the throttle arm. I would guess that any adjustment that is done probably won't dramatically affect the bike's operation. The only time you may notice would be less of a stumble when the throttle is quickly opened.

Why do you think yours needs adjusting? Carbs off would be easier if necessary, but you might be able to at least check with them on.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think the accelerator pump needs adjustment because i'm pretty sure i adjusted it unaware of what it was. when i twist the trottle even a little the rpms soar and don't come back down for a few seconds. i thought i was too rich but seeing in the fsm how that pump operates i think its engaging too soon.

·
Registered
546 Posts
i think the accelerator pump needs adjustment because i'm pretty sure i adjusted it unaware of what it was. when i twist the trottle even a little the rpms soar and don't come back down for a few seconds. i thought i was too rich but seeing in the fsm how that pump operates i think its engaging too soon.

Check for air leaks mike at all six joints, you symptom is classic for that. Do you have your air filter in?

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Abe, I think I remember that he is running 120/156 jets, pod filters, and straight pipes with no baffles. Maybe the vacuum piston is hanging up too. Who knows when things are so non stock.

The accelerator pump would not be the cause of this tho.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.