Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm rebuilding a '79, and it ran on one cylinder before i took the carbs off. The left had the pilot screw broken off in the hole...so I had to freeze the carb and hammer it out with a needle.

In the process I accidentally widened the pilot needle port...I'm assuming thats why it won't start b/c nothing else changed. It will only run 5-10 seconds with full choke.

I had a spare carb set from an 82, but it has NO CARB PLATE!!! Does anyone have a spare set? or can anyone take an impression so I can try to make a pair?

Or...does anyone know how to fix my lean condition? No vacuum leaks...maybe the petcock is clogged?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like 25 is the screws that hold on the accelerator pump cover. Is that right?

What I'm looking for is the throttle-type valve plate that is controlled by the choke cable (pulling the choke closes the plate). The 82 is slightly smaller than the 79 I have.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
It looks like 25 is the screws that hold on the accelerator pump cover. Is that right?

What I'm looking for is the throttle-type valve plate that is controlled by the choke cable (pulling the choke closes the plate). The 82 is slightly smaller than the 79 I have.

I didn't even see that. The part I was talking about is on the middle left side near the 25.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish that was it, so I could just order one. I went to the shop today and I they don't even sell the choke plate without the rest of the carb attached.

·
Registered
810 Posts
How about asking for a choke butterfly from a used bike part-out place? I know of a place in Jordan Mn that sells used stuff. I would think they would have carb's lying around that are of no use that may have the butterfly inside.

The place I know of is sportwheel.com

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No responce from them, but I fashioned a pair out of sheet metal. Still can't get the bike to stay on, though. New carbs keep it running for several minutes with the choke on...but still dies with any throttle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts